HELP! My 3 year old is acting out at daycare and home.

My 3 year old has recently started acting out at daycare/home. It started a few weeks ago with her refusing to take a nap at daycare. She has screamed so loud that she will wake up the other kids in her class. We have talked repeatly about following rules. Last week this escalated to her kicking at the daycare teacher.

Today she was playing with a toy - it was time for lunch so everyone had to put their toys up. She refused to put her toy up and when the teacher took it she started SCREAMING and kicked at the teacher again.

She does act out some at home but she eventually calms down with timeout or spanking.
The daycare has started calling me daily to report her behavior...HELP! She starts 3K Monday and I hate to start with a new teacher already having problems.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you asked her why she does what she does? Also I would not force a nap on a child at that age. Good luck and hope it gets better.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Has anything changed recently for her? new baby, moving to a new home, etc. Does she get enough one on one time with you and DH? Just ideas..........GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:35 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• more.........also enough praise when she does something right and positive reinforcement at home?
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:37 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• We have asked her why she acts out...she gives us the classic "iono". And I agree on the nap..I spoke with the director of daycare again yesterday and asked for them to not try to FORCE a nap...but she does need to sit on her bed and quietly look at a book or just lay there.

No major changes...My older daughter is a senior in high school so we have had some chaos trying to get ready for school...nothing major though.

I 'think" we have spent plenty of one on one time and positive reinforcement but we will certainly increase that this weekend and work on it. Thanks for the help!
    msmaddox

Answer by msmaddox at 10:56 AM on Aug. 12, 2010