My child has brown hair on half and blond on the other half... straight down the center of his head. Anyone else have pigment differences?

My middle child was born with a skin pigmentation difference. It is most prevalent in his hair, but it is also noticeable on the skin of his forehead.
I know there are often issues with brain development with some pigment problems, but my child seems to be developing normally.

I am wondering if anyone else has seen this in your children or others.

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 4:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• i have one blond streak in my dark brown hair...well, every once in a while i notice a grey hair too, but the blond streak i have had from the beginning : )
    i went to college with a girl with a natural skunk like streak.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• So it's a straight line right down the middle? It sounds like chimerism... which is incredibly rare. The only reason I even know about it is because of a documentary I watched.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Or here is a similar disorder -- http://dermnetnz.org/pathology/mosaicism.html
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Wow, that is interesting. I never heard of it. You might try looking it up on the net. Or, call you doctors and ask him/her about it.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 4:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Is it Vitiligo(sp?) My sister and niece have it. I've seen a lot of other people with it. I have never heard of it affecting development.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I am pretty sure it is not Vitiligo, he was born with it and it hasn't changes at all.
    We brought him to a dermatologist as a baby and he told me that since pigment is developed in the brain they worry about developmental problems when they see pigment problems. Our little guy has always been ahead of the curve in development, so I am not worried about it with him.
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 4:22 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• It is not exactly split down the middle. The brown side jogs over a few inches in the back. I have looked into chimerism, but unless there is a problem, our doctor won't do any testing. And since he is ahead in all areas, he won't test him.
    It is interesting though.
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 5:40 PM on Aug. 11, 2010