If my landlord is selling my apartment complex,

do I have to allow the Realtor in my apartment. There is a signed lease and there is nothing in there that says I have to. Also are the new owners allowed to raise your rent once they own the property? I am only asking the main question because last time I did the person looking to buy the apartments stole some of my stuff. I already made a police report about it. They were caught with my camera I have up.(security system I put in with permission) Also do I have to leave my apartment so they can look at it.? This is what they did last time and they also went through my stuff. I feel very violated about it all.

Yes this is serious and true.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• As for the Realtor, I don't think so... its not like they are selling your apartment, they are selling the complex. The only way your rent is going up is if they raise it when your lease expires and it is time to renew, which is usually yearly ~ correct?
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:21 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Wow, I would call my local housing authority and talk to them. They can advise you and tell your your rights under the law. Do you have renter's insurance? It may reimburse you for your losses.

Good luck to you.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 4:20 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• They are allowed in the apartment with or without you there. They do have to give you notice though. Maybe you could ask to be present but inconspicuous during showings (it can be uncomfortable to look around an occupied house for some buyers). That is terrible what happened to you before!
    mommypip

Answer by mommypip at 4:21 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I think a realtor needs to give 24 hour notice, but I'm not sure. Call your city hall, they may be able to connect with a department on tenant rights.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I know it's uncomfortable for the new renters to look while your there, but bed. of that, I think I'd be more inclined to stay. When they call which most Realtors do, I'd put valuables where they are with in your sight if you can, or lock them up, even if it's out of the Apt. for a few hrs. Good Luck, it's a shame what the world has come to.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 6:15 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• we have a rental ourselves YES They can come in there with or w/o you (as long as you ok the w/o you) they just need to give a 24 hr notice is all
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 4:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2010