What were you planning at 13?

BEIJING – A 13-year-old American plans to visit North Korea this week and perhaps meet leader Kim Jong Il to pitch his idea for a "children's peace forest" in the demilitarized zone.

Jonathan Lee, who was born in South Korea and lives in Mississippi, is scheduled to fly to Pyongyang on Thursday from Beijing with his parents, the family told The Associated Press. They said North Korean officials in Beijing gave them visas Wednesday night.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 4:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• (HEAVY, DRIPPING, FESTOONED SARCASM)
    What? He is taking his American money to another country while we are in an economic crisis? What are his parents thinking? What a terrible example--throwing their wealth in the faces of the poor like that! (I am sorry--I couldn't resist!)

Seriously--what a cool kid! Imagine taking personal history and culture into consideration while envisioning a place where we adults can learn from the children! I love it! If I knew my yard could manage it, I would plant a chestnut tree and name it Jonathan Lee! (My itty, bitty yard would be nothing but tree if I did that). Good kid, good idea, good heart, and it sounds like good examples in mom and dad.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 6:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I just read this story! LOL. I think his parents are nuts. Kim Jong Ill is insane and not going to suddenly become benevolent because of a 13 year old.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• That is one awesome 13 year old, I was playing with my bike, or experimenting with makeup!

Answer by older at 4:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Wow that's really great! A seriously amazing kid.

At 13 I started planning my 21st birthday (this October! Yay!) and started looking into midwifery because that's what I want to be.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:01 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Damn! From the mouths of babes!

At 13, I am pretty sure I was wondering if Dean Eggerding liked me back and what Trapper keeper to buy: either the puppies or stars and rainbows....
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 5:35 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I was planning on getting a certain boy to ask me to a certain dance at 13.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:38 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I love your reply Youngwifey!!! Excellent.I appreciate your sarcasm...it was brilliant!

I feel really shallow and dumb, thinking about what I was doing at age 13. I was probably planning what to wear on the first day of school in the fall. @@ I think this kid is great!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 6:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• At 13 I was probably crying because all of my friends had started their periods, I had not and at that tender age and being very naive, I thought that meant I was a lesbian! That was a fun conversation with mom--no wonder she had a drinking problem!
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 6:38 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Wow! What a story!! I wish him the best of luck, he might need it.
    Me? I had an awesome 13th birthday party... My mom bought my friends and I a few bottles of pink champagne (non alcoholic) and we went dancing at a disco !!
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 6:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Hmmm I wish I could remember.....
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2010