• In the Spotlight:

How to deal?

It has always been a dream of mine to go to college and become a doctor, but I love my Dh, so when he got orders to be stationed overseas, I went with him and we started a family. I only had two years of college done, but I figured, I'm young and I can continue when we get back (we're here for 4 years). Well, we've been here two years and I still haven't really made any friends. I'm really lonely and Dh is always stressed due to work and school and it's really hard on me. I feel like I gave up school to just sit and twiddle my thumbs for four years. Dh offered to let me go back to the states for the next two years and finish up my bachelors... and it's so tempting, but it would really hurt him if I went. It would also hurt our Dd, because she would miss her Daddy so much!
How can I just deal with not going to school for the next two years... My little sister is a junior in college.. and my friends just grad. in spring :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in

• How about doing some classes online? At least you'd be working towards your ultimate goal. As for making friends, aren't there any activities for the military spouses where you are? How about mothers of other chidlren around? Perhaps you can set up some playdates for your daughter and get to know the mothers. But you definitely should not go back to the states. That sould be very hard on your marriage and very unfair to your daughter who needs her father.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 4:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I agree with PP -- there are other ways of finishing your degree or at least working towards that goal without risking your marriage. Can you take classes where you're stationed? Or do some correspondence courses? You won't be able to do a lot of the science courses, but you can get Medical Terminology and your gen eds out of the way.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:40 PM on Aug. 11, 2010