Will the night cups end?

I have a 20 month old who wants a cup twice after she had one to go to sleep...she wakes up ..if i fill with water she throws it what am i do do?

Deandrea03

Asked by Deandrea03 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• SOrry I really wish i knew what to tell you. I am in your rut! My DS is almost 2 and still needs a bottle when he gose to be and sometimes one durring the night. I have tryed everything. Putting water in the bottle instead,dosnt work. just not giving him one.. dosnt work he screems untill he pukes. I have gotten alot of advice from older moms to just let him ween himself. So thats wut im sticking with untill I find another solution (or untll it happens).
    JenKT

Answer by JenKT at 9:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• You just need to leave it at water. If you break down and give her anything else, she'll expect it from that point on. She will learn that if she is truly thirsty, then water is just fine.

I have a 25 month old and she sometimes does the same thing. I've found that sticking a couple ice cubes in the cup with the water makes it more appealing because it makes noise ;)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Don't give her anything other than water. As soon as you do, she will know that screaming and crying will get her somewhere.

The "curtain calls" for extra cups are just a way to extend bedtime. I'd give her the one cup and kiss her goodnight.

If she throws the cup, take it away. Tell her that throwing is not allowed. Kiss her goodnight and leave her.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• this i what i did my son use to need 3 cups in the bed with him at night i put half and half for a while then i slowly added less and less of juice now he only needs one cups and its water but he doesnt drink it. but he has to have it in there with him.. he is still in his packandplay now when i put him in a toddler bed im gonna take it away.. try that and see if it works goodluck
    kelly87

Answer by kelly87 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 30, 2008