honesty about leaving a job

In my past, I have successfully worked as a cashier (twice) and a bookkeeper. I currently work in the cash office of a major retail chain. The issue, the position scares the dickens out of me. The job is a designated four hour shift (I have always heard of 8hr, not 4hr). So I'm rushed (and said I'm too slow). The worst part, I found out that they are not using the camera. And naturally, I target zero for all blame. Yes, I'm scared stiff. I just applied to work as a grocery store cashier. I had to list for former jobs. All four I was very honest. The three before last, I did very well. The recent (cashroom), I was honest about being very uncomfortable and scared. I also listed that the four hour shift (just on weekends) was not enough as well.

Is this honesty the best approach since a follow-up call between employers could say just the same? (clean bg check)

Yours humbly,

Stressed Out

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would be honest, but also check the "Do not contact this employer" box noting that you are still employed and do not want to risk your current position
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 4:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I agree with Maureen-MD's answer. That's a legitimate reason for not wanting them to contact current employment.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 4:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• If you are not happy, I would say find another job.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 4:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Most employers do not give out any information besides verifying that you worked there for X period of time, because they are afraid that they will get sued, so I doubt you have anything to worry about.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My employer only would state that you worked there, no other info.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 6:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2010