Has anyone gotten pregnant while on the mirena IUD?

I track my period religiously every month. It has always been regular even while on the mirena. Like clockwork once a month for seven days. I have been on the mirena for 3 years now and have never had any problems, but this month I noticed I only spotted for two days! I don't know if I should be worried or if my period is just starting to fade away from being on the mirena for 3 years? I have no other symptoms of pregnancy. Has anyone else ever experienced this while on mirena? Or have you become pregnant while on mirena? Anything would be helpful, thanks!

BrendansMom134

Asked by BrendansMom134 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes -- I had a myriad of "pregnancy" symptoms while on the mirena. I also didn't get my period at all after a while, which was very nice. The chances of you becoming pregnant while on the mirena are practically none.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• You should probably either take a test or go to the doctor because getting pregnant on any IUD/IUC can cause miscarriage.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I'm more than likely overreacting, I'm just so used to having a period that it's seems odd not to have one like usual. I also read on the mirena site that if you go 6 weeks without a period to see your doctor, but on the other hand it also states that after a year about 10% of women no longer have a period. Seems a little confusing to me.
    BrendansMom134

Comment by BrendansMom134 (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I had some similar symptoms but it was never anything real. Like the first poster said it is really rare to get preggo with the IUD in. But if your worried see your doctor.
    maggiebella25

Answer by maggiebella25 at 4:43 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I know that it is "rare" but, it also says on the website that it can cause your death or the loss of pregnancy. I would want to be sure.
    From the site:
    In the uncommon event you get pregnant while using Mirena, seek emergency care because pregnancy with an intrauterine device can be life threatening and may result in loss of pregnancy or fertility.
    http://www.mirena-us.com/faqs/index.jsp#65
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:50 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My sister got pregnant while using Mirena. She just had that baby. Her doc told her that he had never seen anyone else that got pregnant with it. She never really had periods while using mirena, so she had no clue she was pregnant. She found out by accident when she was 7 weeks along. She went in to have a breast reduction and when they took some blood they noticed. She was shocked.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 8:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• wood1980: That is great for your sister so, maybe babies don't survive Mirena. There have been quite a few mother on here devastated because their Mirena failed and they miscarried because of the Mirena.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:44 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I am ten weeks pregnant and had a mirena device for a year prior to when I found out. It apparently is more common than one would think but I believe the fluctuations in your period are normal due to the hormones but test if you have any doubts that you could be, its much better to find out sooner than later.
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 3:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2010