Swaddling baby - Is he too hot?

My 3 month old DS loves being swaddled. When he's fussy for "no reason" I know he just wants to be swaddled. The problem is, he gets SOOOO HOT. He will ONLY sleep through the night if he is swaddled tightly - if he gets loose, he wakes up. Also, his naps are no more than 10 or 15 minutes if he is not properly swaddled. I have been trying to wean him from it because I am so worried about how much heat he exerts, and the pediatrician's nurse said I don't have to worry about how hot he gets.....BUT I AM STILL WORRIED! I only put a diaper on him (no clothing at all) when I swaddle him. and I keep a small fan going in his nursery at nighttime... is there anyone else with this issue? What else can I do to keep him cool? Or am I truly worrying for no reason?

TLALONDE16

Asked by TLALONDE16 at 5:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The great thing about babies is they know what they like. He may be hot, but I'm thinking that he may like it that way. If your too worried, I would stick a fan in his room so the air conditioner flows a bit better, and maybe make it a few degrees cooler so he doesn't sweat too much. If your doc isn't worried, I woudn't worry about it too much. You have to remember, not all that long ago he was in your womb which was WAY hotter, try 98.6 degrees.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 5:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My son was the same way. He would be sweaty when I would take it off. He liked it that way and I never worried. When i was pregnant with him he would stretch all his limbs out when i cooked at the stove. He LOVES the heat. Don't worry, he is fine. :)
    LovelyMother88

Answer by LovelyMother88 at 5:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Look up the symptoms of GERD and see if any of it sounds familiar. My son was the same way with the swaddling and the wamth.....LOVED IT....would not sleep without it. He was diagnosed with GERD around 5 mo. and once we started treating it - he would sleep anywhere in any condition (swaddled or not)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Just try different days / nights of things, to see- if it's changed for any reason he'll cry, carry on, or fuss. If they are hugged at night it's because the swaddling was this "inside the womb" feeling, and it reminds them of what they used to feel. Mine are bigger and as babies they all lived to be swaddled. I just allowed them to grow out of it. I never always kept it a routine after the 3 month age though
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 5:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• N----now I'm sort of confused. If you are swaddling with just a diaper and your skin, then it's a sweat thing that's fine, but just do this instead. . . . .
    Try to wrap a cocoon blanket , ( flannel cotton lage burp cloth ) and wrap it snug. Just tuck it as it were a body diaper up to the shoulders to mimick a hug - like feeling to the baby.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 5:38 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• ANGIE409: It is so interesting that you say that because although my son does not have GERD, he did have issues with projectile vomit and excessive spitting up. We realized that he needed soy milk with some rice cereal to control it. But this wasn't until we had a scare about GERD and even thought he may have had pyloric stenosis.

LoevelyMother88: LOL!!! How cute that your baby would do that!!
    TLALONDE16

Comment by TLALONDE16 (original poster) at 5:40 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• coffeyum: When I say "swaddle" - with a blanket is what I mean, NOT with my skin on his skin.
    TLALONDE16

Comment by TLALONDE16 (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Overheating is a risk factor for SIDS.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Swaddle in a light jersey material (t-shirt material). Also see if you could let his legs out. I swaddle my baby around the arms, but let her legs free. This keeps her cooler but still keeps her sleeping.
    jet360

Answer by jet360 at 7:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Ah great suggestion jet360! I will try that.
    TLALONDE16

Comment by TLALONDE16 (original poster) at 7:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2010