nap or not to nap

My son is 3 and he is giving me a heard time going to bed at night, his still takes naps should i stop the naps?

Butterflymom101

Asked by Butterflymom101 at 5:17 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I limit naps during the day to one hour, or half hour.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 5:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• you can try stopping them but then he may become over tired around dinner time but its worth a shot many kids around 3 1/2 tend to not need naps everyday depends on the kid though. What about instead of a nap though quiet time like reading or coloring so he can mellow out and just rest without sleeping....just an idea.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 5:20 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• wow, my daughter stopped napping at 18 months..lol..i agree with the quiet time for him, instead of letting him sleep..give him some books to look at, or colouring books, blocks, lego..something for him to do by himself, so he can still have his own "me" time..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 5:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• all you can do is try.. you can always switch back..
    my opinion for my kid is she will nap for as long as i can get her to do it.. In "nurture shock" i read a study about the IQ of kids who get enough sleep & those who dont.. enough sleep is CRITICAL at a young age.. I believe its 12 hours a day of sleep for our kids age ...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• It really varies from kid to kid. Some kids just fight sleep, period, no matter what you do. Others, like my youngest, who is 5, still need a 2 hour nap every couple of days.

I would try a quiet time with a timer and see if that is all he needs. If he stays quiet and sleeps well, then you have your answer. And then again, he might just be protesting because he can and he still needs the nap.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:35 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I would start limited the naps...see if that helps.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I just shortened their nap times and got them playing outside~ fresh air and full tummies let them sleep better
    Val3073

Answer by Val3073 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• start reducing the amount of time he spends sleeping. the less he sleeps the easier it will be to get him to bed at night. that happens with my daughter too.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 9:07 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• my little girl stop taking naps at 2 so we call it quit time for her to just play by her self. But if he is still takin a nap i would cut it back slowly then eventlaly take it away completely then i bet he'll will sleep at night for ya. He might be over tired a couple of times going with out a nap and may fight at night for being over tired but once you get him use to it it shouldn't be so hard. If you take away his nap idk if you do now or not but put him to bed earlyer too might help too like 7-8pm ( i know my girl is 3 and i put her to bed at 8-9 only cause she is so active and she sleeps longer in the moring then too till 8-9am too) well good luck hope this helps.
    artzone

Answer by artzone at 2:06 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• also he might just need that nap and just shorten it. i know some children who still took naps till they were 5 too and they just needed that extra bit of sleep to get them thou the day and still slept at night. So kids like lots of sleep to get thou a day and others don't want to sleep at all to take a nap and just go right straight to no nap and going to bed early.
    artzone

Answer by artzone at 2:09 AM on Aug. 15, 2010