Mostly for Christian **Could be contraversial...

Through the Crusades, Crusaders were promised full forgiveness of their sins and a promised spot in heaven by the priests of the day.

Now, here is my question... These men did HORRID things to believers and non-believers alike... torture, abuse, rape and murder were pretty much the norm through the crusades... BUT, they did so with the blessing of the Church and supposedly God as well.

WHO would be held responsible (IYO) in the eyes of God? Would these men actually be forgiven since that is what they were promised? or Would God expect them to ignore the priests? Would the priests be held accountable instead or not at all?

Obviously, these are questions that really don't have an answer... Purely opinion. But it came up in the book I'm reading, so I wondered what others would think...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think they would all be held accountable, but all forgiven. Since God doesn't selectively forgive, they would be forgiven that's the beauty of God.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 5:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• one is responsible for his or her own actions. always.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• only God knew and knows the hearts of all people. he judges each one individually.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• If you were there and witnessed this, then believe as you wish.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 5:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I'm with happy2bmom25. We've no way to know the hearts of these individuals. There's nothing Biblical or godly about what these people did. The New Testament is very clear that you don't earn your salvation. I do believe that the leaders will be held especially accountable for their actions as they mislead those with whom they were intrusted.
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 5:33 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I guess this is what bothers me. We are talking about a time in history when people were brought up to NEVER question the Church because it meant you were questioning God. People were taught and largely believed that their Priest was their one way access to God directly... IF the Priest said it, it was direct from God...

SO, these men, honestly believed they were doing these horrid acts under the direction of their God... BUT, that doesn't change that what they were doing were horrible acts! Acts that many people believe would label someone for a one way ticket to Hell... Would their intent be more important than their acts? Or would their belief that this was an order from God change their fate?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• The sad thing about the crusades is that they were used as a tool by the church. The crusades had nothing to do (historically) with religion. It had something to do with money and dominion over others. They used religion to pursuade others to do what they wanted, right or wrong. Now, does God hold accounable those who were uneducated and duped into doing ugly and sinful things? That's up to (whatever) God (you believe in) to decide who is going to pay for their karmic misdoings.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 5:41 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I guess that's my point and question gnovinger... I think we all agree at this point that there was no valid religious reason for the crusades. And none of this has any real bearing on me, seeing how these aren't my beliefs, but I was wondering how those who do have a belief in the Church, Christian God & Heaven or Hell thought...

Honestly, I just thought it would make a great conversation more than anything.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 5:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• personally, i put the majority of the blame on the priests. not just b/c they convinced men to kill others (etc), but b/c they used religion for personal gain. the religious men that encouraged the crusades were as corrupt and horrible as they come. i really doubt the majority of them were encouraging the crusades "for God" or even cared about what God wanted. it was about political control and money. it doesnt make the crusaders innocent...just ignorant of their own belief system, which was the position the church wanted them in and kept them in.

but i dont know God's plans so i cant say if they will be held accountable or forgiven.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• personally, i put the majority of the blame on the priests. not just b/c they convinced men to kill others (etc), but b/c they used religion for personal gain.

But did they all? The case for the Crusades came from the Roman Empire - they tried to invade Islamic territory and had their butts handed to them. After they ran home licking their wounds, they appealed to the church in Rome by lying and saying Muslims had raped, murdered, pillaged, etc (actually, all things the Romans had done, not the Muslims). The church believed this and organized the Crusades. Is it all on the clergy when they were acting on false intel? You could maybe make the case that if they were truly men of god he would've stopped them or given them some sort of sign, but if they acted out of faith rather than conquest, thinking they were righting a wrong, even if the wrong was a lie, are they still as responsible?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2010