Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Question about age and custody

I live in Rhode Island does anyone know how old a child has to e for a judge to take into consideration which parent a child wants to live with? And has anyone dealt with custody when ex and child lives in another state ut decisions regarding custody where here in rhode island? thanks. email is

Answer Question

Asked by rili228 at 5:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • Have you tried using google? Also talk to a legal aid.

    Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • Custody issues must be handled in the county that the custody agreement was filed in. If the child's state of residence has changed the custodial parent can file for a change in jurisdiction as soon as the child becomes a residence of the new state.

    The age that a child is permitted to speak to the courts varies from state to state(some as young as 9, some as old as 14). You'll have to look up the guidelines for the court that has jurisdiction.

    Answer by desert_diva at 6:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.