WHERE YOU FINANCIALLY READY WHEN YOU GOT MARRIED?

We were so broke, 17, pregnant, & husband just in the Marines. He would tell people it was strictly a Love Affair. I lived home a lot when he was on cruises & in the Viet Nam War, couldn't afford on $125.00 a mo. to rent a place. I paid rent to my parents, cried a lot, sat on the front porch everyday waiting for the mailman, esp. the end of the mo. for my allotment check. I listen to my kids talk about how broke they are & I just have to laugh. We went to Tenn. for 1 wk & got shipped out, then N.C 6 wks & got shipped out, then I'd go home. When together we rented crappy, furnished places. We lugged a TV with us, both times, broken, & couldn't afford to have it fixed. I remember cllng home w/ no $on Easter just to say hi, and cried,we couldn't buy any Easter candy, our son was 18 mos but I felt so bad, even though he never knew. I washed by hand and hung out. Yes ours truly was a Love Affair, but now a story for my kids.

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 5:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• I wouldn't say we were financially ready,but we were building a life together.We both had a job,I was 5 moinths preggers & we were in love.And happy!!!
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 6:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I was pregnant and while it is nice to have more money now we were not "poor" then.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• No, but we did it anyway. We weren't financially ready to have kids, either. But we did that, too. We just rearranged things. The kids came first. Ya know? Priorities changed. Once we met, we didn't go out to clubs anymore, so that wasn't an issue when kids started coming. But, hey, here we are!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 6:35 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA, financially ready, oh that's a good one, wotta knee-slapper...
    Not only were we not financially ready when we got married, we aren't financially ready now!
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:55 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• no i was 17 an hubby wa 18 we were so tight on money we were in school and hubby had to work so we were very tight on money i started working from home and he ook a full time as a painter but since he was a student it wasnt as much now its muh better because he is still a painter but to a company and it has been so much better for us now we can spoil our fam
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 5:41 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• What is there to be financially ready for? If you are affording the "single life" how could you not be ready for marriage... I don't see what there really is to be ready for... I was out by 18 and we lived together for years before we got married... Finances were never a worry when it came to marriage.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:43 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• We didn't have much, but, just being the 2 of us, we didn't need much either...it balanced out just fine.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 5:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Nopew, we were both in the Navy and just starting out at 19. We have always made ends meet but sometimes that was harder than others.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My husband and I are in our 50s (got married last year) and both of us were and still are in excellent financial shape. We're both good at keeping a budget.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 6:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My first marriage yes, and technically yes in this marriage. However, it isn't that we are without the means, it is that I just haven't controlled them. But, yes, I saw all the love affair in that paragraph. :) How romantic to see how far you have come.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 7:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2010