What would you do if....?

You had a newborn and would be living on a remote island with no access to civilization, would live among a naked tribe, and would have to breastfeed but the baby would not latch and you have sore boobs, one of which is bleeding already, and there is no formula around, no one even ever heard of it, but you do have milk coming out of your breasts. What would you feed your child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• KEEP TRYING TO BREASTFEED sorry for th caps lock . im not going to let my child starve to death i would keep tryin
    mommyof2chasmin

Answer by mommyof2chasmin at 5:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Fashion a bottle out of a coconut and express the milk into it.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I would suck it up and feed from the non-bleeding breast.

Your question seems absurd, just like all of the non-rational thoughts I have had since I've had babies!!! These are totally the types of things I think about since having my babies!
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 5:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Oh but you said he won't latch....hmm so I suppose I would do what butterflyblue19 said....
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 5:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Eventually, that baby will latch or we will both die trying. If milk is coming out, he can hold his mouth there while I squeeze milk into it. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Since all the women in the tribe breastfeed, I would go to them for help and support. If this question is only semi-hypothetical, you might try contacting your local La Leche League. www.llli.org and then click on your state. You can also find them in the phone book.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I would keep trying. Its a learning experience for mother and baby with a lot of trial and error but eventually you figure out what works best for the two of you :)
    ashleys2girls

Answer by ashleys2girls at 5:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• The baby will latch eventually. Just like the babies in Africa or Asia or wherever there is no formula available. If they can do it, then my American "rich" baby can figure it out, too.
    icanbeabitch

Answer by icanbeabitch at 5:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Well, seeing how I did nurse through a bloody cracked and ridiculously painful nipple issue, I would continue to try to nurse... If that didn't work I would make a cup (assuming there are no bottles) and use my hand to pump the best I could. If that didn't work, I would do my best to find a "wet nurse" to help me...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Well since formula didn't cost a thing there, being their is no formula, anyplace, it's a gift to breastfeed, however if the pain was way way to much, and I though it was a better thing to keep the baby fed, that is the indication to go get some coconut milk, (not the coconut meat chopped up or poultice since that is hard to digest for even humans, but if their were an animal with milk , like a goat, that would work the very best. If this is only a Q' (excuse me) on being breastfed the right way and having pain, sometimes it's good to just let it go, and make your own formula from carnation evap. milk and some vitamin drops for infants. Just use a standard amount as it says on the evap. milk label % of water/ to milk, and about 5 drops of vitamins.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 5:55 PM on Aug. 11, 2010