Is it really against "your religion"?

This is a s/o of one of the gay marriage questions, but it's a bigger issue than just that. If you personally feel something is against your religion, but your entire religion does not agree, can you really say it's against your religion? When it's a rule like no gay marriage, no birth control, no pants, or no being "unequally yoked", you cannot find a single denomination of the religion with that rule that follows it across the board. There are priests who recommend bc, Baptists who wear pants, churches of every denom who marry interfaith couples, and even denoms that have followers in one congregation who adamantly refuse gay marriage have congregations that perform them in another town.

So when your religion does not agree that something is or isn't against your religion, is it really against your religion, or is it against your personal beliefs and religion is the excuse?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:55 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Its a cop out. They'd rather say that than say 'I personally don't believe in it" Pass the blame to their religion. "I can't help it,its my religion's fault".

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• In my religon, homosexuality is considered sin. So in my case, it can be considered my religion, but as a side note, a
    I am personally against it as well.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 6:01 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

I am personally against it as well.

Your religion performs gay marriages. How can it be a sin and against your religion if your own religion endorses it?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I think it's a copout also. I think people realize there not going to win the battle saying 'you can't do it cause I don't like it' People will just look at them and say 'well who are you and why do I care?' So they say God doesn't like it and alot more people will be willing to follow and justify it that way.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 6:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• it doesn't matter what we think your just to bash our religion so girls find some thing else to talk about
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 6:05 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

If you aren't capable of answering the questions, why read them?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I don't really have a religion. I used to be a membe of the CongregationalChurch. But I don't belong anymore.Probably because I don't agree with most of them. Maybe I would go to a Unitarian Church....but maybe I can live wthout going to any church. I make up my own mind about gays,abortion,etc. based on a sense of responsibility and my belief in God.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 6:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Two part answer on the generics of religion (not the gay marriage issue):

1) Yes, there are denominations out there that are completely consistent about various things being against or promoted within their religion. For example, the recreational use of drugs or alcohol is completely against my religion - no exceptions.

2) We as individuals choose our religions though, so of course whatever we say is "against or religion" is also an individual belief.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 6:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I'm not bashing any religion...religion is a right for everyone to choose as they please. I'm simply saying I don't think any man is better then any other man enough to tell they can't marry someone of the same sex. I think that people realize that and they still don't like something so now..."it's against the religion" and what if these people who are not apart of your religion or any religion for that matter. How do you still have the right to tell the they can't marry...It's not against there religion it's against yours.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 6:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• It is "my religion" if it is also biblically based imo. The Bible teaches homosexuality is a sin. It doesn't say anything about whether or not I should wear pants and it doesn't say anything about actual birth control. It does say to be fruitful and multiply...I was fruitful and I did multiply..there is nothing saying how many fruitful is.

Just because some groups within a certain faith do/don't do something doesn't make it right. What other groups do within the faith doesn't change the fact it is still MY RELIGION and MY beliefs.

Bash if you want, I don't care. Nothing will change my core beliefs.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2010