Does it annoy you when people use words improperly?

What's one word that you see so many use improperly?

I see ignorant used wrong a whole lot.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 6:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No,just the words that they should know how to spell like PREGNANT. Its not pregnate!!!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• is ignorant a word to describe a person who could learn but refuses to learn? lacking in basic knowledge....
    Anyway,yes it does bother me.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 6:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• When I moved to MO from WA, the biggest thing that annoyed me was people using the word, "whenever" in place of the word "when". For example, "I got pregnant whenever I was 25 years old."
    RainingHeart

Answer by RainingHeart at 6:14 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• OMG YES!!! There are too many for me to really get into it, but I really wish people would figure out their, they're and there. Also using the word seen instead of the word saw.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 6:14 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Yep, bugs me too... But I think some words tend to have more than one meaning. Ignorant for example is supposed to mean lack of education or understanding. But it's been used as a synonym for rude for so long that many people don't know that isn't actually the meaning... What bothers me MORE than the misuse of words is when the word is used PROPERLY and others try to debate the meaning or usage...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• When someone ask me," where you at?" I always say, "Between the A & the T."
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 6:56 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Grammar errors especially annoy me. You're/your, affect/effect, their/they're/there, it's/its, and so on. I've also decided I hate the words "bash" and "vent."

I could go on, however you said only one and I've definitely met that quota.

Jupitery

Answer by Jupitery at 6:15 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• yes! SO much! But then sometimes I catch myself using the wrong words without thinking about it, at least I know (usually) the correct way to use words. I feel kind of bad getting annoyed by bad grammer, but I can't help it that it is like nails on a chalkboard when I hear it or see it.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 6:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• There are differences between....there,their and they're. your and you're...to and too...MENS is NOT the plural of man..it is men. Ending a sentence with the word at is a sentence fragmant and sounds totally ghetto. I could go on for days. Type O's are one thing but the sensless slaughter of the English language is NOT a victimless crime!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 6:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I am dyslexic so I cast no aspersions. life is too short to be bothered by something like that.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2010