ok so this is the thing I didn't get to breastfeed my girls when they were babies, but I am planning on having one more baby and despritely want to nurse this one, but for how long? I don't want to give it up to soon, but I don't want to do it to long either.

My first was well my first baby I of course gave up instead of working with her. She was 3 days old when I decided to quit although the nurse didn't show me in the hospital I didn't get to nurse her until 11 and I had her at 7:27 I am not sure why, but they took her straight to the nursery and then I had to ask for her and nurse her noone told me to do it after birth and noone showed me how to do it. Baby number 2 I nursed for 2 weeks then I started to dry up. I had a problem with the epidural so I was in a lot of pain and didn't get to nurse her so much in the hospital then I was in the ER so I couldn't nurse then I had no milked pumped (my mom had to give her formula while I was in the ER) after that she wouldn't latch on anymore and I dried up. Well we are planning soon for baby 3. So I want so much to nurse this one if all goes well I am praying it does. I so regreat not being able to nurse my other 2 CONT........

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 6:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Be sure to alert the hospital of your plans to nurse. Make it clear that this is the method you choose, and that you do not want them to give your baby a bottle. Ask for a lactation specialist who can help you with the latch and make sure that you and your baby are position correctly. Having that kind of support helps so much in the beginning. I think it's great that you want to give your baby this gift. Do it for as long as you are both comfortable--don't let anyone else influence this very personal thing.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Normally people do it for a year and then wean them but I know of some moms that went longer.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• the thing is this one will be my last baby so I want to nurse this baby as long as possible because I didn't with my other 2. But they grow so fast so I feel 12 months is to soon. At what age is approperate to still nurse? I don't want to stop to early since it will be my last I want to nurse as long as possible, but I also don't want to have a 5 year old at the boob lol. So what are your appinions on this?
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 6:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• ANY time is better than none... As long as YOU are comfortable, your baby is willing, and it works for your family - GO FOR IT! I nursed my oldest til he was about a year, but had to stop "early" because I was HUGELY pregnant with number 2 and couldn't hold him any more. With number two I nursed until he was 2... There is a combination of reasons when it comes to finding the right time to stop... Just go with your gut!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:15 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about doing it "too long". You and your baby will naturally know when that time is for you, which may not be the same for everyone else. I breastfed my daughter for 3 yrs, 3 months. I can see why people would have this worry though, since this week alone I have seen Dr. Phil tell a woman she should start weaning at 6 months (what?!), and Niecy Nash on Clean House freak out over a woman who was "STILL" breastfeeding her 2 yr old. These people wouldn't bat an eye over a child the same age still drinking from a bottle or taking a pacifier, I'm sure.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 6:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• ANY age that you feel comfortable nursing to is fine. The WHO standard is 24 months MINIMUM.

I truly hope you give it a shot.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:17 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Just give it a shot and see how long you want to continue for.... shoot for 12 months and then see what you think from there... maybe your next goal would be 18 months, then 2 years... and just see. Your baby will play a factor in the decision too of coarse... I doubt that most children would continue to breastfeed for 5 years!
    Personally, I feel past 3 years is too long, but that is just me.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

I truly hope you give it a shot.

yes I will deffinatly be giving it a shot I did with both my other ones just couldn't for what I said above of course
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

Yes deffinaly not after 3 years, but I didn't know if up to 2 or 3 years were a big deal
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• No, Most will stop between 2 & 3 years naturally... So it's not an issue... But again, as long as everyone is comfortable with it... It's all up to you!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2010