Does anyone recommend the leapstear 2 for a 4 yr old, or any other handheld system?

Im thinking of christmas, early I know! We bought the hand held v-smile last yr and it worked for about an hr and then the stupid thing never worked again! He loves to play games, so im thinking about getting him the Leapstear 2 ! Anyone who has it, do your kids like it? Does it work correctly? Any other system that might be better for a 4 almost 5 yr old? Is it something that I could buy used, or should I buy it new ? Thanks for any help !!!

MrsNewman

Asked by MrsNewman at 6:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We got my dd a leapster for Christmas and she loves it. Working fine too and she is really rough on it.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:21 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I have no recommendation, but I am looking for one as well. Hope you get lots of responses.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:21 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I got my son the ClickStart from Leapfrog. He learned to type on the keyboard and use a mouse while playing great games on the TV. I don't want him to be hooked on the hand helds like his crazy teen brothers are.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 6:22 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My DS wore his leapster out. We originally got it to keep him busy during a long drive, but it was great - games are relatively inexpensive, so that was our go-to suggestion when people asked what he wanted for b-day, Christmas, etc. He was sad when we had to break the news they didn't make any games advanced enough for him anymore - we're looking to upgrade him to a didj while he can still get a year or two out of it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• absolutely all my kids had them and they were rapidly learning and didnt know it they thought they were just playing video games... I also recomend the v-smile...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 6:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Forgot to add - we got his Leapster when he was 5 and he was already beyond some of the more basic games - before that we had a LeapPad (don't think they make those anymore), and that covered a lot of the basics already. Read the backs of the games to see which ones are the right level for you.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My 5 yr old has had a Leapster for about 2 years. He loves it and the games, which he has pretty much mastered. However, he doesn't play on it very often. It could be that he has 2 older siblings with whom he'd rather play or the call of the Wii. He does take it on road trips and it keeps him busy for hours.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:33 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Yes, they are great. Just limit time on system.

Another thing is buying games like Freddy Fish, etc for the PC. My kids learned to read,math, etcwith these games. hey had lots of fun doing them.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 6:38 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• We got Kyra's for her 4th b-day and she's played it almost daily since. She 5 1/2 now. Use the good batteries (energizer works best) because the cheap ones die too quick. The energizer ones last about a month with a couple hours of play each day. There are games with different characters that teach different things. She's learned a lot. And on a 13 hour car ride we didn't hear "I'm bored" once! She's also dropped it several times and it hasn't broke. It hasn't slowed down or anything. It cost us about $40 or so new with the games ranging from about $15-$30 or so. It can be bought used just make sure to test it out before paying and leaving. She also had the leap pad thing with mouse and keyboard but hated having to be hooked to the tv to play. Hope this helps.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 6:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My son had one he loved it but if u want you can get the ds the have lil kids games too
    kadmomma

Answer by kadmomma at 10:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2010