What did your Kindergartener know on the very first day?

My son is going into kindergarten on September 1st. He's an easily distracted kid, and he might be a little behind.
So...what do/did your kindergarteners know? Did you have any problems with delays, and how did the school react?
SAHMs, how much do/did your husbands contribute to educating your children? Did they do flashcards, workbooks, etc?

sojourner.

Asked by sojourner. at 6:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I set up a classroom in my basement for my son who turned 5 this past January. Everyday we did school from 9 to 11:30 just like his kindergarten will be. We worked on everything from the alphabet to writing, art and science, reading and math. Kids are sponges. They learn in small doses. We covered tons of stuff. In June he participated in Safety Town, which was a two week, two hour a day program to teach them everything from bus safety to stranger safety. I was concerned about the attention span, following directions thing. He was fine, he did great and I know he will do good in Kindergarten. I got workbooks, flashcards and found wonderful lesson plans online. Just reading to your children teaches them.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 6:35 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My children knew letters, number, some words and some reading, colors, and so forth. They'd been in Sunday School and had some classes at the Y, so they knew about behavior in the class situation. My husband read to them at night, but otherwise he didn't have much to do with teaching them school subjects.

Answer by Bmat at 7:14 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Wow- WoodWitch stole my answer! :) Actually, I worked w/ my daughter quite a bit, and found age-appropriate materials to help w/ many subjects. We also did the Safety City program in our area, so not only did she know the required academics, but the street smarts she needed as well. In fact, when facing a bully who tried to steal her lunch one Friday, she stood her ground, and when he threatened to "get her 2morrow", she responded by saying, "well, I'm glad 2morrow is Saturday, so I won't have to see you!" Pretty witty for 5!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:15 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My son will be starting kindergarden this week and he can do the following perfectly plus lots more! Can say aloud numbers 1-100 on flashcards, can say the alphabet without singing it, can count to 50, can add numbers on flashcards, can write his first and last name correctly, can recognize all letters, can spell some small words such as "stop" and "dog", understands the calendar and knows what"tomorrow" means and "next week" and the concept of months, knows the basic shapes and can draw them, can cut with scissors all shapes, can completely take care of his bathroom needs in a neat manner, knows the basic colors, colors inside the lines, can tell time on a digital clock and lots more! Kids love learning new things! When he asks me a question I always answer him and make it important even if its not really becuase its important to him. They love learning.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 7:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My son has delays in visual and fine motor skills so he was way behind in writing. He did know his letters, letter sounds, could sound out very simple words, adding and subtracting 1 digit numbers, colors, shapes, and many many many animal and space facts.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Mine knew beyond everything he was expected to learn academically in Kindergarten when he got there - but he still couldn't tie his shoes to save his life on the first day. No kid knows EVERYTHING they need - there will be some aspect they are not as good with, and others they are better than the rest. Kindergarten is designed to work around that, and the students are divided into groups best suited to their abilities, so don't worry about it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My kids had 2 years of preschool.
    They were able to write all the letters, know their letter sounds, write their names, know their colors. I can't think of anything else right now.
    I wouldn't worry too much. They know that for many kids - kindergarten is the first experience with school.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 9:22 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My kids knew their numbers to pretty much 100 (give or take a few at the end) the alphabet, how to write their name, and most of them could add very simple problems.....however ~ my mother has been a kindergarten teacher for over 30 years, and she sometimes gets frustrated when she gets children in the classroom that "know everything" because they often get easily bored the first 6 weeks of school. She doesn't even recommend pre-school for most kids, so relax. He'll do just fine! And how exciting to be starting Kindergarten!!!!!! Hope he LOVES it! :D
    (gotta add....none of my kids could tie shoes before kindergarten....lol)
    crzymmy5

Answer by crzymmy5 at 11:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Well I feel like a horible mom my DD knows nothing except her ABC's and to count to 10.
    2girlsmomutah

Answer by 2girlsmomutah at 2:08 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• All my kinds knew their ABC', and how to read (we start really early). They knew their numbers and how to do simple math. They enjoyed painting and coloring. They knew about sitting in their seat (we required during reading time) and how to raise their hands to ask permission.

Actually it doesn't matter what your child knows as the kindergarten teacher is used to kids of all levels and not one is labeled.
    QuillingDiva

Answer by QuillingDiva at 2:23 AM on Aug. 12, 2010