4.5 cms for over a week now.

How long can you be this dilated before labor starts? I was told 4 cm is "active labor" and they would keep you but my doctor just has me come in for a nst and sends me home! They did a strep b test but still hasnt called me on what it is. My doctor wont start me without an amnio but Im not getting one. Both my boys were earlier then this and my 2nd was beacause I went in at a 4 so what changed that there ok sending me home?

Im 37 weeks. My first was born at 34 weeks and my 2nd was born at 36 weeks.

Lacrisha

Asked by Lacrisha at 6:38 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Active labor is regular contraction pattern and 4 cm is what i was told. You could walk around like that for a while. And good for you in not getting the amnio :) Let labor happen on its own!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 8:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• It depend on the person. Everyone is a unique situation. If you are really concerned, I suggest you call your doctor. How exciting for you. Good luck to you and baby.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 6:39 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Maybe waiting for you to start labor. GL
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 6:40 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Don't forget that it's give or take 2 weeks. The due date is just an estimation ;)
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 6:44 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I walked around 4cm dilated for 3 weeks, so it is not unheard of. You are only in active labor... if you are laboring. Meaning you have to be having regular contraction, that are getting stronger and closer together.
    I will give you an encouraging thought though. With the pregnancy I was so dilated with, I had the easiest labor by far. So just think it is less work to do in the end.
    Good luck and happy birthing to you!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• If you aren't contracting, then what is the point of you being in the hospital? If you doctor has called you about the strep b, then you probably tested negative. Doctors normally only call if its positive. Just wait for contractions to start, then head to the hospital.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 7:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Just wait it out. You aren't in labor so no need to go in. You have up to 42 weeks before it even becomes a concern at all and even then it doesn't matter if all is fine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• You could walk around dilated for 5 more weeks and everything could be perfectly healthy.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:33 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Are you have regular contractions? If not maybe thats why they are sending you back home?
    JaLayah

Answer by JaLayah at 2:49 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Thanks everyone for the input! She was born this morning after a 4.5 hour active labor. 100% Natural she is 5lbs 5oz and 18 inches which is normal for my babies.
    Lacrisha

Comment by Lacrisha (original poster) at 1:47 AM on Aug. 13, 2010