How can I get my 2 year old to sleep through the night?

Hello. My 2 year old has a routine that I find much different that what I experienced with my oldest child. He goes to bed for the evening at around 7:30 or 8:00 pm. He wakes up around 4:00 am crying for a bottle.

I have been giving him a bottle when he wakes up at 4:00 am, and this is the only bottle he is having during a 24 hr period. I was hoping that he would be off of the bottle by now.

I have tried to keep him up later than 8:00, but when I do, he gets so keyed up that he won't go to sleep until 10:00 or 10:30 pm. And even then, I can hear him on the monitor tossing, turning and fussing on and off all night long. He sleeps well when he has the bottle at 4:00.

If any has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

livsammom

Asked by livsammom at 2:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hi,
    Does your 2 yr old have a favorite snack, Non-Sweet preferably.Try giving that to him a little before he goes to sleep. Young ones tend to sleep better with a solid food in their tummies rather than just liquid!

Hope this helps!

MotherBee 234
    MotherBee234

Answer by MotherBee234 at 3:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• my son also wants milk in the early morning its just comforting to them hes 2 and 1/2.. on sleeping all night i cant find the answer either but i think 8pm is too early for bed. i would go with 10 and turn off youre monitor he may go back to sleep on his own if he wants you he'll yell loud enough. unless youre on a different floor or something.
    danahake

Answer by danahake at 3:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I don't mean this to bash at all, but why at age 2 does he have a bottle? If you are waiting for him to wean himself, that may never happen. My pedi told me that once a child hit a certain weight, which for my son was around 9 months old, that the child does not nutritionally NEED the nighttime feeding and is able to go through the night without it. He is likely only waking up because you will give him a bottle. It is likely a comfort thing, which can be replaced with a pacifier, stuffed animal, or blanket. Try explaining that "big boys" don't take bottles, they drink everything from a cup. Once he knows that you expect him to be a "big boy" and sleep through the night without a bottle, he is likely going to stop waking up. That may take a few nights to break, but I would suggest breaking that habit. Tough, but easy way to do that- throw the bottles away. Then it simply isn't an option.
    ILuvMyBoys07

Answer by ILuvMyBoys07 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2008