Feeding my Toddler son BMilk from a Surrogate Pregnancy..

Ill be carrying a surrogate pregnancy- The family would like it if I pumped for as long as Im comfortable otherwise they will purchase Milk from a bank..
My question is would it be weird if I chose to give my son leftover/extra BM. He will be almost be 2yrs old by the time the Surro baby is born..

pinkcicle709

Asked by pinkcicle709 at 7:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think it would be weird. One- he is your child. Two- Some kids are breastfed past two years old.
    jet360

Answer by jet360 at 7:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I gave my 2year old BM nothing wrong with it.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 7:05 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Nothing wrong with that at all! I bet it would even make you feel more comfortable with it.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 7:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• it's your milk. lol i dont see anything wrong with it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• The baby should get all the milk, it is that baby's milk not your child's. It is unreasonable to expect to be able to buy milk from a milk bank, it is $30 an ounce. That would be close to $100 a day as the baby gets older. Milk banks may not be able to spare that much milk for a healthy baby. There may not even be a milk bank in the state where the family lives, not every state has one. You may be able to work out something with them to continue to pump and supply milk.

The adoptive mother can breastfeed. She can rent a pump and start pumping before the baby is born. Then she gets to have the breastfeeding experience with the baby. She may not be able to bring in a full milk supply.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• i dont see anything wrong with your child getting some of it there should be enuff for both of them
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 7:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• oh and she i haveing a baby for them it is up to her if she wants to give them her milk or not if you want to give your little one some go for it hun
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 7:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with it. I think that's great!
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 7:39 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Well this is a tough one. If they had not asked for the milk then you could easily pump for your toddler and give it to him, but since they did and I am assuming it is not part of the original agreement then it is totally up to you whether you give them any that you pump or not. Since you will be exclusively pumping it is likely you will not even be able to supply enough for their LOs needs let alone have extra for yours, but it is your milk and your body so that is a difficult call. Personally I would encourage the mother to try to induce lactation (there are drugs she can take and pumping before the baby comes to get her milk to come in) so she can have that bonding experience with her child. My oldest weaned while I was pregnant and he was 18 months old. He tried to nurse after the baby was born, but couldn't. I had an over supply pumping at work and fed him some in a cup regularly so I do not think it strange though
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:56 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Sure, if you have leftover milk. Are they asking you for a specific amount of milk?
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2010