8% of babies born to an illegal parent

Screwing with the 14th is a bad idea, but how DO we fix it?

Study: http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/08/11/pew.report.pdf

Article: http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/11/hispanic.study/?hpt=T2

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• That 8% only constitutes if 1 of the parents are an undocumented immigrant even if the other is a U.S. Citizen. So even if 1 is a U.S. Citizen that child is considered to be part of that 8%. So really it is not 100% correct. But yes I do see that it can be a problem.
    sheli2007

Answer by sheli2007 at 7:44 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Give the illegal parents a choice to take their baby home or sign them over for adoption to an American couple.

Personally I'm all for changing the amendment. It's quite possible to do so without changing the entire amendment and only taking away the possibility/incentive of anchor babies.

If the American public were given the full, total costs to education, health care, insurance rates, crime, etc. there would be no doubt in anyone's mind that not only has something got to be done right now, but it should be permanent enough to make sure this mess is never repeated. The single best way to do that is to amend the 14th.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• They should make exceptions to the rules for citizenship. If a child is born here that should not be enough to make the child a citizen. The parents of that child must be legally here first. Or the women must have proof to show that she was ordered to come here and that is why she gave birth here. There are a lot of holes that need fixing. But I do not think a person who can't provide proof should get a free service and walk away without a bill or jail time. A lot of things are just not right. I would need to think a lot more about this.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 7:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I feel bad for the kids.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:01 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• The kids are victims of an overall bad situation.

Answer by older at 8:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I feel so sorry for the kids. How frightening are their lives going to be .....
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• It is a sad situation. However, when you consider the intent of the 14th amendment, it is being abused. I really don't know why it is such a horrible concept to amend the amendment. I think it would probably be the best solution to stop the abuse of it.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• But....I thought Conservatives/Republicans wanted the Constitution in its original form to be observed and used to make political decisions? Is that not what has been posted here for months??/ Criticizing Democrats for ignoring the Constitution? And of course, we all know what GWB said about the Constituion...he said it was just a ....piece of paper.

Lets make up our minds...do we want the original Constitution to survive or do you want to change it to suit YOUR motives and agendas?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• We need to make illegals - legal at a price that benefits the taxpayer. We need every penny we can get.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 10:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2010