Do you find that central AC or individual room ACs are less expensive to run?

I wonder, because it seems that for room ACs you can cool only certain rooms at a time.

Asked by Bmat at 7:39 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Cenral air for sure! I have had both, when we just had those big things hanging out the window or elec was 150, with central air its like 60 bucks...
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 7:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I think t depends how you use it. I know some people keep the room ACs running non-stop so the cool area could spread through the home but central air goes in every single room.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:40 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Central Air is definitely cheaper! Keeping your home a fairly constant temperature year round requires a lot less energy to maintain than to cool an overheated room or home.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:50 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Yeah I agree with the window unit it depends on how big the AC is.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 7:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Central air is much more efficient and economical. Keeping the entire house at a constant temperature keeps the unit from working full on all the time. I realize that for some people it isn't an option so with a small investment in the window unit you can still cool parts of your house. :)
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2010