My cat just had kittens ...

And my two (almost three) year old son will not leave them alone. My son has been scratched by "mommy" kitty and growled and hissed at but still he will not leave them alone. I moved the kittens into an night stand (with a cupboard that's missing one of the doors) that my son is not aloud in and "mommy" kitty seems to like that spot better. She's not moving them to a new spot and still takes care of them.

Anyway my son keeps going in there. I don't want to lock the door because that will keep mommy cat from the litter box but i can't move the litter box because of the other cat in the house ("mommy" cat won't let her be in the same room as the kittens).

So how do i keep my two year old son away from the kittens? Time-outs and spankings don't work he just keeps going back in there!

SolaraDarkset

Asked by SolaraDarkset at 7:56 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Pets

• I would get a second litter box for the time being. It may not be convenient but it will keep the babies safe, mama cat from refusing them, and your son from getting hurt.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• tell him the kittys need alone time with mommy so the can get big and healty!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 7:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• do you have a baby gate or one of those super yards you can block his access to her?
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 8:01 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I agree with a second cat box and use a baby gate to keep your LO out. Kids that age can be so frustrating. :D Just keep repeating that he needs to leave them alone and taking him away from the kittens.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• i would buy another litter box and put it in there.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:01 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• yeah, a second litter pan would be the easiest solution. a 2yo is just too obsessed with babies and you would be literally running after him all day long to try and keep him away. i would just lock her up..... out of sight, out of mind lol. maybe let him draw some pictures or do some kind of craft that would take his mind off of it
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I agree, I would buy anoher litterbox.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 8:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I wish i could use baby gates but my son is such a little monkey he climbs right over them. The second litter box is a great idea though thanks!

thank you

SolaraDarkset

Comment by SolaraDarkset (original poster) at 8:39 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I guess move the litter box to a safe place for here or get a second one. Perhaps your child would leave them alone if you told him that a couple times again, when it was OK with the mommy cat, that you'd bring one or all out and let him pet them, but if he bothered them before that that he might get hurt by the mommy cat protecting her babies.

Answer by Bmat at 8:39 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My younger two kids are monkeys too. I bought a really tall gate that they can not climb over. But they figured out how to open it...UGH! Now I have to use a bungee cord on the gate to keep them in their room at bedtime.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:20 PM on Aug. 11, 2010