how do you all discipline your 6 yr old?

I need some help with finding a way to discipline my child that actually worked. I thought you guys could help me out with some ideas

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I sat my children in the corner. I would count to three, and if they did not stop whatever it is I wanted them to stop, they went into the corner. One minute for each year, 6 year old, 6 minutes. I have yet to get to three in decades. Even when they were teens, counting made them stop. Maybe I had mild children, but they are pretty stubborn in their own ways. When they did something really off the charts, I would ask them what would be the worst punishment for whatever? They would say things like, don't take away the Nintendo, don't take away ballet class or soccer practice. They punished themselves much harder then I could.
    Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 8:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Depends. If he is being a kid, like being forgetful, help them remember. help them learn. If he is being downright disrespectful, then serious discipline needs to be enforced.

Think about it- as an adult, what happens if you're late to work once? You probably apologize and go on about your job. If it happens more than that, you may have to have a talk with the boss. If you speed, you may wreck or get a ticket. Think about what your child is doing - and try to fit the discipline with the action
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My kids didn't need much disciplining at 6. So when they had a meltdown, I just sent them to their rooms until they could calm down.
    If they are being REALLY bad (which is unusual here), they have their favorites toys or activities taken away.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 9:45 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• google 1-2-3- magic. It is a less stressful way for the parent to get the kids to listen. It is basically a 3 strikes your out technique.
    when they are doing wrong you say childs name you need to stop_____If they do not, you say childs name that is one,you need to stop doing____ if I get to three the punishment will be___if they stop good go on w/ the day if not tell them the same thing except it is now 2. If they stop good go on with the day. If the continue do the same thing but say thats 3 then calmly walk over take item saway if it applies then follow thru with the punishment.I usuall just have to say thats 1, sometimes I get to 2 rarely I get to 3 . Way less stress, People have stopped me in public wanting to know how I get my kids to listen just by counting to them
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 10:48 AM on Aug. 12, 2010