When sick do you prefer

to see physician assistant- certified or an actual doctor?

I have been so sick with a sinus infection, dry cough, and diarrhea. I went to the my appointment with a PA-C and was put on the brat diet...bananas, rice, apple and toast and told to wait it out another week or if I got a fever or 100 or more to call the office. I have been miserable for almost 3 weeks prior to this appointment and the day after my appointment I called the office and requested to be put on an antibiotic only to be told "no"...call if I get a fever otherwise I need to wait it out or I could make another appointment with the same PA-C. What should I do take this advice or make another appt. with the PA-C or a real doctor ? Feeling so miserable...I have a slight fever but not 100 or over.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Health

• Antibiotics are rough on your system, and it is better to not take them if you can get away without them. If you have a sinus infection, though, it seems to me that that should be treated with antibiotic. I think if my sinuses were painful and I had a bad discharge from them that upset my stomach and gave me a nasty sore throat, that I'd want to be checked again by somebody, just for a second opinion.

Answer by Bmat at 8:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• i dont ever go to the doc when i'm sick. i always just wait it out and get plenty of rest and fluids.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• i refuse to see a pa. i will only see a dr. and they have a note of that on my chart.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I only go to the doctor when I am deathly ill...and only after I have exhausted every over the counter option over several days first. I prefer to see whomever is qualified to diagnose. USUALLY the NP's are friendlier and have better bedside manners! I find that I can talk to them and that they actually listen and care! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I prefer the pa. I like how thorough they are.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 8:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My doctor has just hired several PA's. Sadly, he hired them from the local Veteran's Hospital. Well, that is like taking a hooker home to meet Mom for Sunday dinner. Not good. I have made it clear that I only want to see my doctor. Even if I have to wait hours for him to be free, I will only see him. I don't go the doctors very often, maybe four times a year. I see my neurologist now every two months. I understand why he wants to see me that often. I would rather die on the side of the road then be taken to my local VA.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 8:33 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I have nothing against PA-C's. I have seen one at my Cardiologist's office several times & I really like him. They are very qualified to do what they do. They even write prescriptions. I think you should have had an antibiotic for a severe sinus infection. My M.D. always gives me one.
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 8:40 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I used to work in the medical field, I was the Office Manager for a large pediatric group in NYC which was staffed by some of the leading pediatric specialists in the world, each with their own specialty. One thing they had in common? They would do a simple blood test, and if a virus was the culprit and not an infection, antibiotics are useless... A virus just has to run its course and sometimes that takes a few weeks.

FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 9:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I prefer a doctor. For sinus issues (have allergies) I use a salt water nasal rinse. It seems to soothe them and ease the headaches. Hope you feel better soon.
    lizard111

Answer by lizard111 at 9:47 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Yes, my kids see her and she is wonderful.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2010