SIDS

So I know all about SIDS and I take all of the precautions. There are no stuffed animals or blankets in my sons crib. Nothing except for bumpers. He is also almost 6 months old. Even though I am very careful I still can't seem to fall asleep until I have checked on him atleast five times! I know a lot of moms tell me that it's ok this is normal but I would sleep so much better if I knew that the chances of him suffocating in his sleep are very low. Are they?

BraydonsMama262

Asked by BraydonsMama262 at 8:38 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• by 6months there is extremely low risk. if you're that paranoid you could try the mesh bumpers.... they work great. sids is mainly a concern for newborns, and the older they get, the lesser the risk
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:40 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• my son is 9 1/2 yrs old and I still can't go to bed without checking on him. In the last 2wks or so, he has gotten into the habit of pulling the blankets up over his head and tucking then under him. This totally freaks me out as I am convinced he can't breathe. Seems like every day we have a talk about this and how is is not safe.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 8:47 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• You should look at the connection between SIDS and vaccines.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 11:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I probably should have added that I do not vaccinate my son.
    BraydonsMama262

Comment by BraydonsMama262 (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I co-sleep with my 10 month old & still wake up many many times to check on her. I also have pretty intense anxiety.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 11:32 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• the first 3 months have the highest risk of crib death..after that time you are essentially in the clear..maybe a baby monitor or something can help but it sounds like you are already taking good precautions..i would say he is perfectly safe from what ive read.. i know what its like to have anxiety. if you really need to check on your child do it but try to cut back slowly..thats the best way for me to quit a behavior that interrupts my normal life cycle.maybe get a baby monitor or something.....being worried is just a sign that your a good mom, its normal

tuesdaygreen

Answer by tuesdaygreen at 3:28 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I just learned in my child development class that SIDS is linked to women who smoke, or were around smokers. But 91/2 months should be big difference than the risk for a newborn. Did you try buying a monitor? They also sell pads to put in the crib that lets an alarm go off if the baby stops breathing. I sleep in the same room as my daughter, I wake up everytime she moves or breathes funny so maybe try sleeping next to the baby in the same room? My daughter slept in the play yard next to my bed and then we got her a crib in our room.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 8:12 PM on Aug. 12, 2010