People With Asthma. Help, k? Thanx.

Yesterday I went swimming and cameback and felt perfectly fine but as it got later and I relaxed for bed, my chest began to hurt each time i breathed in and out. I took my puffer like I would normally and thought it would help it go away. It did help but then I woke up this morning and the pain is still there. Is it possible to have a 'light' asthma attack or something? I've tried putting hot water on my back since it feels like it's tight and the pain is giving me a headache. I thought hot water on my back would help but no go. Should I go to the hospital?

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 8:47 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Health

• I have had asthma attacks where its not bad, but left untreated by my inhaler wind up getting worse. I would think if it was from swimming, it would have happened sooner than it did. It sounds like it could be something else setting it off. What are your triggers? It could be caused by something in your bedroom that hasn't necessarily bothered you til now. Were you recently diagnosed?
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I was diagnosed in my late thirties. I don't have wheezing attacks, but my triggers are allergies, respiratory infections, and cold dry air. My throat constricts and the tissues swell up so sometimes it sounds like whistling when I'm breathing. As you know, your inhaler is for emergencies. You might want to talk to your doctor about a medication for maintenance. There are quite a few. I was on an inhaled corticosteroid daily for several months, but it was making me lose my voice. Now I take Singulair and Claritin dailty, and that controls it. I only have to use my inhaler several times a year. If you can't afford one of your medications, contact the drug company and ask about a Patient Assistance Program. I got a year's worth of Singulair free from Merck.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My triggers are pollon,smoke,dust, that kind of thing but my bf has been smoking in the house. it must have set off my asthma by swimming yesterday. it hurts to sit up,move around, anything. take deep breaths, inhale, exhale,sneezing. it feels like my lings are closing up eachtime the pain comes. i hate it. i got diagnosed when I was 11 years old. It never usually bothers me though. I'v had probably one real asthma attack my whole life so when this pain came on, i dont know how to stop it.
    CandieGirl09

Comment by CandieGirl09 (original poster) at 9:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• P.S I will talk to the bf about smoking outside.
    CandieGirl09

Comment by CandieGirl09 (original poster) at 9:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• It sounds like something a little more than just a typical asthma attack. Did you swallow any water while swimming? It sounds more like pneumonia or water in your lungs. If you have a nebulizer (breathing machine, not just an inhaler) try doing a few treatments every few hours. If not, see your doctor.
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 9:15 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Respiratory issues aren't to fool around with (I've learned the hard way). Please get it checked out. Much better to hear that you have something silly liked trapped gas than to end up in the hospital...
    lizard111

Answer by lizard111 at 9:43 PM on Aug. 11, 2010