Would you stop breastfeeding if you were put on medication?

I stopped taking my antidepressants while pregnant because of the side effects. The doctor put me back on to medication and I decided to stop breastfeeding because I wouldn't feel comfortable with the chemicals going through to my baby. I sometimes worry that I should be breastfeeding...

convalescense

Asked by convalescense at 9:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• i would just in case
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 9:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Ask your doctor - it depends on the medication. If you need to, you can "Pump and dump" while you are on it.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Its really a personal choice.
    I breastfed while on zoloft. Its "safe" according to Dr. Hale.

If you want, you can share which medication you were on and I can check my book by dr hale and tell you if its considered safe.
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 9:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Your situation is different because you need to take it permanently. It's hard to pump and dump then. Sometimes you can get similar medications while bfing if yours is not safe.

I was on antibiotics and I just pumped and dumped while I was on it.
    Any other medications I took, I asked my pharmacist what was safe and what wasn't while breastfeeding.

Whatever you do - don't beat yourself up. If you can bf, great. If you can't, it's ok too.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 9:17 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I'm on Venlafaxine.
    convalescense

Comment by convalescense (original poster) at 9:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I would ask your doctor, and if he says it's safe, I would continue breastfeeding.
    There are SOOOOO many bennefits to breastfeeding.
    I breastfed my first till he was 9 mos. and he seems a bit healthier than my 2nd, who I had to bottlefeed at 4 days of age. (He got jaundice and I was not allowed to BF and so dried out...) I might have been able to get it back w/ pills and more trying, but I gave up, and now he suffers from many ear infections that my 1st. never had.....it might not be related, but I can't help wonder, and think I could have saved him some painful nights.......
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 9:20 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Ok. What I'm reading is that its an L3 class. Meaning it hasn't been proven harmful, but there is also no proof its harmless.
    Pretty much, the drug is not safe during pregnancy and risk are unknown during breastfeeding.

If this is your only option for an antidepressant, I *personally* don't think I would nurse either. If you really still want to nurse, you may consider talking to your dr about possibly switching medications.

Good luck!! I hope you find whatever works best for you mama!
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 9:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't breast feed if I was on any kind of medications Fortunately, I never had to take any medications....still don't.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I feel I should also mention, that the infants in the studies done showed no signs of being adversely affected from exposure.

But I don't know your dose vs dosage done in studies, etc.

Talk to your dr
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 9:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• it depends on the medication, some are not an issue to breastfeeding.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2010