first year teaching

im a new teacher this school year. I'll be teaching kindergarten in my local school district. I'm nervous and need help getting over the jitters can anyone help? and do i need to make a syllabus?

crouchingmommy

Asked by crouchingmommy at 9:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in

• You could make a "Welcome" letter to the parents and introduce yourself. I like when teacher's do that. Make a supply list too. I hate not knowing what to get for school supplies. Every teacher is different.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I would make a simple syllabus, for the parents. I LOVED it when my children's teachers let me know what kind of things they would need that month for a project. It drove me nuts when my children would tell me they needed blue poster board for class in the morning at 10 pm the night before. My dd taught school, kindergarten. She said she hated to think she was using these children as her own guinea pigs. Most of the first year teachers feel this way. Get to know your students and their parents, that will help you teach better. Good luck, keep us posted.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 9:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• the supply list i though of 12 - # 2 Pencils 24 - Crayons 2 - Glue Sticks 1 - Box of Tissues 1 - Pink Eraser 8 - Broad Tip Markers 1 - Pair of Fiskers Scissors 1 - Pencil Case 1 - Wide-Ruled Spiral Bound Notebook 3 - Pocket Folders 1- red and blue nap mat 1 box of gal size zip-loc bags 1 box of qt. size zip-loc bags 1 book bag please send change of cloths appropriate for season

crouchingmommy

Comment by crouchingmommy (original poster) at 9:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I just want to say good luck!!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 9:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Good luck, the jitters will even out as the year progresses. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, yes, they will call you on it when you do, but thats the only way to learn! And you can be like me, sometimes when they call me on stuff I just tell them I was testing them ;)
    Sonylena

Answer by Sonylena at 9:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Be firm but kind; don't let them get away with things early on, or you will have a difficult time come January. Remember, as a kindergarten teacher, they are all nervous too. You will very likely be exhausted at least for the first month, so maybe freeze a few meals now. Do your best, rely on your colleagues around you, and be yourself! This is my 11th year teaching (music)- it gets easier
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 9:55 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• One idea to keepo the lines of communication going is to have a folder for each kid that goes home every (say Tuesday- call it the tuesday folder) with anything thats been graded, parents need to see, sign, notes...And comes back each wednesday.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Kinder is not my expertise, but I would try to talk to the other Kinder teachers to find out if they collaborate on 1st day activities, homework policies, class rules, etc. If they're all doing the same things I wouldn't want to be the odd one out, nor would I want to waste my time creating things that I'm not going to use. When I was new to teaching, I found it helpful to script out everything I wanted to say and do the first day of school - introduce myself, ice-breaker activities to get to know the kids and let them learn a little about each other, set forth my expectations, classroom procedures (supplies, water, bathroom, etc), daily schedule (esp. when recess and lunch breaks will be - for kinder I imagine pictures of what the clock looks like might be more helpful than actually writing the times), diagnostic assessments, etc. Each day, I review the procedures and rules so they remember to follow them.
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 11:55 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• You got some good suggestions, I can't think of anything else. Just wanted to say good luck!good luck

Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 11:56 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• When my son was in kindergarten, I liked getting a monthly calendar. It gave the theme for the week and what we needed to bring in for class projects. It was a great window into the classroom and we could supplement the curriculum by reading books of the same theme.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:00 AM on Aug. 13, 2010