How old were your kids before you let them ride their bikes alone?

My kids are 7, 6, & 4. I am very apprehensive about letting them ride their bikes around the block by themselves.

Am I being overprotective?
What's the average age kids can go around the block by themselves?

ARmom

Asked by ARmom at 9:20 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have twin boys. I let them ride by themselves when they were 7, BUT only because they are always together. I probably wouldn't have let them go at that age if I had only one child. Also, it is in a quiet neighborhood with very little traffic and lots of kids out riding their bikes too. They are 8 now, and still have strict boundaries, and cannot go "around the block", but must stay on our street where I can look out and see them. I also do a visual check (looking out a window to see them) every 5-10 min., and an actual verbal check in about every 20 min. Like I said though, only because they are together nd not actually out there "alone". I personally would not let the 4 year old go alone, and 6 is pushing it, IMO. BUT, with the 7 year old, maybe....it really depends on the neighborhood you are in, how mature they are (do they make good decisions and follow your rules), and whether or not there are other kids out too
    romeece

Answer by romeece at 11:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• 4 is way too young to by him self...
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 9:22 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• i say even 6 is a bit too young....IMO
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 9:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• There is no way I would let my 7 yo DD go by herself. Maybe 10 or 11.
    Jadegirl1819

Answer by Jadegirl1819 at 10:22 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• my daughter is 6..she can ride in the front, on the drive way by herself...if i am in the front she is allowed to go on the road..as long as i can still see her..i dont know when i will let her go by herself..probably not until shes at least 9..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I think that is too young. I would say 10 at the earliest.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:34 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Well...my 8 year old is still only allowed to go to the corner and back *IF* I'm out front when he does it. ;)

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:17 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Thanks for all the great advice. I think they are all too young as well, but I see so many kids their age (and even younger) out riding and it makes me wonder if I am too overprotective.
    Looks like I will listen to my gut and not let them ride alone for a few more years.

ARmom

Comment by ARmom (original poster) at 8:59 AM on Aug. 12, 2010