How do I get my son to go to bed before 2 am?

Martilll

Asked by Martilll at 9:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• My personal opinion is that he is over 18, so if he's not doing anything that is disruptive to the household at that time then why force him to go to bed? If he indeed IS being disruptive, he is old enough that you can sit him down and explain to him that it's rude to be loud at such hours of the night. Explain that if he had his own house and you were over and staying up all night being loud that he wouldn't like it, and that he should have respect for you in your own home.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 11:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Tell him it's time and nothing is going to happen till he does.
    Anonymous

• WELL, EVEN WITH OLDER CHILDREN, AS LONG AS THEY LIVE IN YOUR HOUSE, I THINK THEY SHOULD STILL FOLLOW A SET OF GROUNDRULES....JUST OUT OF RESPECT IF ANYTHING ELSE....
    momofmn

Answer by momofmn at 9:46 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• 1. How old is your son? Under 5? Put him on a schedual and STICK TO IT!!! From the time he gets up till he goes to bed. Believe it or not children do NOT thrive on the chaos of life like adults. They are much better tempered, you'll have less tempertantrums and mood swings and he will be happier when subconciously he know's what to expect on a daily basis. i.e. breakfast, lunch, nap's play time at the park, activities. Also having a bedtime routine helps ALOT. If your son is over 18? Sleeping pills. Anything from 6 to 18 and you never had a set schedual before that age? well I dont know.....ADHD meds? A evening run? a warm bath with lavendar?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:48 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Sounds like he needs to have a reason to go to bed. Maybe a job or obligations around the house. If he is up until 2 am and it is distruptive...give him a taste of his own medicine at like 5 am. I know when I was rebellious and stayed up all nite.. I was "cured" when Mom had me up early doing some chores. Sometimes with older kids ...actions speak louder than words.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 12:43 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• put him in the bed at 9-10 o'clock and make him stay in it. do not give in. keep putting him in it until he stays. he'll lay there awake but still or even srying for a week or so! but will eventually be on that schedule
    hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 1:15 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Get up early in the morning and vacuum. Play loud music. Mow the lawn right outside his window. Disrupt HIS sleep. When he complains, sit down and talk, and find a compromise.
    fallenleaves

Answer by fallenleaves at 1:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Hi, my children are young and Im only 22 BUT if I didnt go to bed on time or before 12 am my parents just got me up early and made me do chores! lol. It worked, I went to be earlier the next time!
    AvonbyAmandaNC

Answer by AvonbyAmandaNC at 3:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I need to do this. If I would turn off the internet so he couldn't play his online game would work over here. My son is 20 and has a crazy schedule at work, making it easy for him to stay up very late.
    my3blessings123

Answer by my3blessings123 at 8:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2008