can you drink diet drinks when ur pregnant?

mommyowens

Asked by mommyowens at 3:18 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Pregnancy

• My doc said its fine in moderation. I drink diet coke maybe like 2 times a week (Glass)
    Anonymous

• What kind of diet drinks. If you are talking diet sodas or something then that should be okay. If you are talking diet shakes like slim fast then I would have to say not.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• No, its not. Aspartame (artificial sugar) is really bad for baby and can cause birth defects.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 3:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• NO! there is something in them (i dont remember what its called) that will cause birth defects. I like diet coke and when i got pregnant with my son i had to give them up. Then when i had him i lost the taste for them.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 3:37 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• You can have aspartame (the sweetener in most diet drinks) IN MODERATION. Just like any other sodas. It's only horribly harmful if you have PKU, or Phenylketonuria. If you don't know what that is, you probably don't have it and don't have to worry about it since it's a genetic disorder.

It's probably best to only drink diet drinks that are sweetened with Splenda, like Diet Rite or Diet Cheerwine (if you're in the south like me!). But if you have one or two a week you should still be fine.

If you google "aspartame and pregnancy", you can find a bunch of resources that will tell you more =]

caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:39 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Sources say to only drink Diet drinks in moderation, however I personally wouldn't. It's just not worth the risk...The same goes for Splenda...there's just not enough research to prove beyond a doubt that it's safe.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 4:40 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• the only soda i drink is sprite
    alaina_20

Answer by alaina_20 at 6:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2008