Are a lot of 3 yr olds like this?

I work for my friend who owns her in home daycare so she has her 3 yr old there with her obviously. Well today was HORRIBLE with him. He would stand up on the lunch table and scream at me I don't have to listen to you, or if I asked him to get down wouldn't. Here lately he has gotten worse with everyday. I am sure he is just testing limits, but don't you think this is a bit much? His momma has tried all kinds of punishments and none seem to really phase him at all. She spanks and puts him in time out for the consistent types of punishment. he is very mouthy to his mom, and tells her no screaming at her. She is at her wits end and doesn't know what to do with him. he is a very hyper active boy and I think he needs to be checked out for add or adhd but she doesn't think it has anything to do with it. Any advice on how to make her son a believer that we are the boss and not him.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 9:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• does she give him vitamins? my middle ended up with a high lead level count, and that is a side effect, the doctor told me to her flinstones with iron. also, she could see about changing his diet. a friend of mine, her newpew can't have any red dye, he goes off the wall just like him. i'm gunna bump ya.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• i know i wouldn't put up with that, my son knows i mean business and knows what he can get away with.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My son acts like that when he is exposed to red dye #40.

I thought I was crazy at first. I had started giving him fruit gummies. And he turned demonic.
    Once I looked into the connection, I took all red dye away. He improved.
    As a test, I gave him a last pack of gummies. Within MINUTES he was back to that demonic little boy.

I now try my best to avoid red dye #40 in all foods and he is fine!!

Sounds crazy huh? Sure beats a diagnoses and medication! Imo
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 9:35 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• We went to 2 daycares where the owners children acted out. I think it's very tough to see your mommy act like a mommy to many kids. I always felt bad for those kids.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:47 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• i babysit a 4yo that sounds alot like that.. but worse, at least the child u babysit seems to understand & can communicate. The child i watch ive never held a conversation with him :(
    All day he is negative.. "No", "Go away", "Mine" is his main vocab to me & my child (who is younger).. He will walk into a room with my child & tell me "she stole it" (meaning my kid stole his toy from him, which i clearly seen with my eyes she had been playing with it.)..
    It is very heartbreaking, but I personally cannot go get him checked out or get professional advice.
    anon cause you never know when someone i know is reading this stuff..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My three year old does similar things to. It must be a stage.
    stressedmomma83

Answer by stressedmomma83 at 10:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• my son acts the same way!!!!! today me and my boyfriend and my son where at the mall and at the mall they have a play area where kids can play and run around!!! soooo i only had to go to 1 store while i was there my son would not listen to my bf and my son started yelling i hate you i want my mommy and became this demon child
    kris8525

Answer by kris8525 at 1:21 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My 3 year old daughter has recently started testing limits and will quickly yell adn tell you "You's not my friend" at the top of her lungs. We are doing consistent timeout/spankings ...too soon to tell if there has been much improvement. Everyone says consistency is the key...just wanted you to know you are not alone!
    msmaddox

Answer by msmaddox at 11:15 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• i hate when people say that they wouldn't put up with that because sometimes it really is the child and not the parent. my 3 year old does not act that way but my brother acted similarly. he was my mom's 4th child and the rest of us were well behaved. my mom was actually pretty strict on us and we always followed her rules. she might have said "i wouldn't put up with that from my child!" upon hearing about a child behaving that way before she had my brother... he did end up being diagnosed ADHD and his medication does help but i wouldn't necessarily say that's the problem with that child. be sure you support your friend because it can be so frustrating if everyone just goes around assuming it's your fault or that you're doing something wrong when your child acts out.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:25 PM on Aug. 12, 2010