how months can an infant begin eating baby food?

survivormama10

Asked by survivormama10 at 9:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ask your pediatrician. everyone will tell you something different. I started my daughter at around 6 months.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 9:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• cereal at 4mths
    Stage 1 at 6mths
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• i dident start my dd till close to 6 months
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 9:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I should add that Stage 1 foods are very very runny. I added cereal to them to thicken them. Makes it easier for the baby to eat it and not have it dribble out
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My daughter didn't eat table food until she started reaching for food from our plates, at around 9 or 10 months. She didn't really start eating until post one year. We never did jarred foods or cereal. But she was also breastfed, idk if the requirements are different for formula but breastmilk provided her with all her nutrition and food was just for fun. You should definitely be looking for cues from your baby that he or she is interested in food, you should be waiting until baby stops pushing food out with his or her tongue, and wait for sitting up and good head control.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 9:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• minimum 6 months
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:20 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• The current research recommends no earlier than 6 moths for digestive maturity reasons. A simple fact that babies under 6 months are unable to digest foods, especially cereals. Digestive maturity is a gradual process so solids during the first year are never the main source of nutrition. Signs of readniess are the ability to sit up unassisted (a choking failsafe), loss of the tongue thrust reflex (designed to keep solids out, purees bypass this nature designed failsafe), the ability to bring food to the mouth, the ability to manipulate food with the tongue and bring it to the back of the mouth to swallow, and a pincer grasp is helpful as that indicates better tongue control and digestion maturity. If one has to puree solids into oblivion just to bypass the failsafes, baby is not ready
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• We started at seven months.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:40 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Your pedi will evaluate your baby and let you know when its ok. Never before 4 months though!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:02 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My babies 4 months now and she stares at everything we eat & drink - we were told to wait till 6 months - at that point the risk for food allergies greatly decreases and the digestive system just isn't really ready for anything other than milk until then!
    newmama321

Answer by newmama321 at 2:44 AM on Aug. 12, 2010