i have a brand new baby and a 2 yr old who is testing me to the limits

I feel like im constantly spanking and putting him in time out... he is just always in the way now and tries to make us mad. pls help and give me tips if you have been through this already. thanks ahead of time

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i bet it is because he is not getting all your attention anymore. you might want to think about making time for just you and him every day. no interruptions if you can, and focus on his needs only. i am sure he is feeling second best now. he doesn't understand the time and attention the newborn needs.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 9:33 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• attentiona attention attention. he was numero uno for ever until now. i have a 2 yr old and a 10 month old. i encorporate the 2 yr old into everything!!!! i ask him for any kind of little help, so he feels he is part of what's going on. and give him one on one time. plus he is 2, it's the natural part of his development to test boundaries, scream and throw a tantrum, push you to your limits, and just to be mentally exhausting because they know what they want but can't yet express it with words....imagine how frustrating that is, then you throw a new baby in the mix. throws everyone in the house into a tizzy. you aren't sleeping a lot. it's all new to everyone. stay as consistent as you can. include him on everything you can think of. even just talking to him is attention!! and don't be shocked if he regresses. my 2 yr old is still taking a bottle at nap and bedtime, because the baby does. when the baby came home and he was...
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:43 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• ......14 months it was not a battle i could fight nor one we were going to win. if you are really stressed talk to your dr about some anxiety pills. i take zoloft. not that it takes all the frustration away, but it surely helped even out my hormones....i hope anyways. good luck. just remember to give your oldest lots of kisses and hugs and praises for doing the good and little things!!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Tell you what my mom did to me when I pulled this stunt.

If I wanted that much attention., I had to be JUST LIKE THE BABY. He got a bottle, I got a bottle. He went in th play yard, I went in in the play yard. He took a nap....you get the idea.

And I was to lose all the "big girl" privileges including toys that my brother couldn't play with.

That cured me. Especially the nap part.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• He is jealous of the new baby. When the baby is sleeping, which I am sure is a lot if he/ she is very new, read to your son, play a game or something. He's probably feeling left out, too. Let him feel like a big boy and maybe help with small things, like throw a diaper away, something small like that so he feels involved with the new baby.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 10:15 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I agree that he is feeling left out. Mine are 27 months (Chris is 34m and Devin is 7m) and I have been dealing with the "no-nos" for quite some time. I try to make time for Chris while Devin is asleep. we play outside or read books or play games. I also let Chris help with Devin (handing the clean diapers, picking out clothing) and help with dinner (making pizza, crushing crackers for the chicken).

I try to show him that good behavior gets a lot of good attention (hugs, kisses, cuddles. . . ) and bad behavior gets no attention (time outs in his room)

Good luck
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2010