This is not a question for co sleeping mammas!!

Ok so my just turned 3 year old has never had an issue with going to bed. Allways 8 on the dot with no problems not even a night light. About a week ago she had a bad dream and asked to sleep w me, (never had done that before) so i allowed her to. The next day she did not mention the dream and went to nap fine. That night all hell broke loose. She again did not mention the dream, but would not lay down, went potty like 10 times, water, you name it. It took an hour for her to finally go down. it has been 6 days now and she just screams on top of her lungs and will get back from the potty and ask to go back immediately. We even went and let her pick out a pretty nightlight at the store. didnt help. I do not want to start the habbit of her sleeping with us in our bed. Any advise on what to do to get her to go back to going to bed a pleasent experince again? Any of your 3 yr olds go through a phase like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Could it possibly be a urinary tract infection? Does she have a fever? I don't have any suggestions other than be firm, but if she has something wrong with her then that is different. :( I hope she is OK.

Answer by Bmat at 9:40 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Have you tried to talk to her about her nightmare? It might have been so scary and life like that she is afraid to got to sleep by herself. Depending on what she tells you you should be able to develop a night time routine that will help her settle in at night. What you could do is place a sleeping bag on the floor in your room and if she wants to be close to you she can lay on her special bed in your room that way aren't cosleeping, but she still feels safe. Have you had any major changes in your life: a death, divorce, a move, change in schools all of these things can disrupt a preschoolers sleeping habits if that is case be strict and loving and she will eventually get through it and back to sleeping in her room.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 9:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• This age is filled with imagination which is great but they also can't distinguish fantasy from reality. The experts will tell you not to let her sleep with you because that just gives her the impression that you agree that there is something to be afraid of (the nightlight may have also reinforced the fear too). They tell you to talk to her about how some things are real and somethings aren't and that she doesn't have anything to be afraid of in her bedroom, etc. Sometimes company will help calm fears - a stuffed toy, a pet fish or hamster on a shelf, etc. As a mom, I don't see much wrong with using her imagination for good...if it is the dream that scared her...make a dream catcher together and hang it over her bed to catch those bad dreams. If it is monsters...get some "fairy dust" or "monster spray" and take care of it. =) Best wishes
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Don't use monster spray that just reinforces that monsters are real otherwise you wouln't have a spray for them. Instead, if she says something about monsters, remind her that there are no such things as monsters and reinforce it be searching under the bed, in the closet, behind the door if necessary.

I know Chris has gone through periods where he doesn't want to sleep unless someone is with him. I go in and ask him what is wrong. I listen and talk about it if needed then I lay down with him and have him close his eyes and tell me what he wanted to do the next day (or what we did that day). Kind of like painting a happy picture in his mind. After a couple minutes of cuddles I get up, tell him he's a big boy, he can sleep on his own and I believe in him, and then I go back to my bed. Some nights I have to do this a couple times and some nights he sleeps right through.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 12:22 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• When I was a kid I never had a problem with my nightmares until it was time to turn off the light then I would remember every second of them. I would try talking to her about it. When ds has bad dreams here we pluck them from his forehead and blow them away. Silly I know, but it is effective and as he gets older we do it less. but even at 7 it is still needed sometimes.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 5:46 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Does she go to the potty alot during the day? Maybe she does have a UTI. We have never been a good sleeper.
    jasonsmommom

Answer by jasonsmommom at 10:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2010