This is not a question for co sleeping mammas!!

Ok so my just turned 3 year old has never had an issue with going to bed. Allways 8 on the dot with no problems not even a night light. About a week ago she had a bad dream and asked to sleep w me, (never had done that before) so i allowed her to. The next day she did not mention the dream and went to nap fine. That night all hell broke loose. She again did not mention the dream, but would not lay down, went potty like 10 times, water, you name it. It took an hour for her to finally go down. it has been 6 days now and she just screams on top of her lungs and will get back from the potty and ask to go back immediately. We even went and let her pick out a pretty nightlight at the store. didnt help. I do not want to start the habbit of her sleeping with us in our bed. Any advise on what to do to get her to go back to going to bed a pleasent experince again? Any of your 3 yr olds go through a phase like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• wow so sorry to hear this mama, i have no advise for you...I will give you a bump though and i hope someone can give you the answer you are looking for!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 9:41 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My only thought would be that she is afraid of having a nightmare again. I assume you have reassured her that nightmares don't always happen? Does she have a favorite toy to sleep with to help make her feel safe?
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 9:44 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• At that age my little one sometimes had, what we believe to be night terrors, and it helped him if I would rock him back to sleep, sometimes it was fast......sometimes it could take up to 1/2 an hour before he was asleep again, but he went to sleep, and in his own bed. Maybe that would help yours ?

Hope for the best :)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 9:44 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Well even though i am a co-sleeper.. I hope my advice is still OK
    ... Try giving her small rewards for sleeping in her own bed.. make up a chart & x amount of days in bed she gets to go somewhere special (library time? the zoo? the park?)
    ..... dress up her room & put glow in the dark stars in there.. dd has them and it looks really cool.
    .... ask her why she doesnt want to be in bed.. talk to her..
    ..... If it is linked to the bad dream or monsters in her room make up a magic potion (lemon water in a spray bottle?) and spray her room at night..
    ..... can you lay down in her room with her, or better lay down next to her bed until she goes to sleep.

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• 3 isn't an unusual age for toddlers to have nighyt terrors. When she woke up was she sweaty and screaming? Night terrors can feel like they are very real. They can also instill a sense of recurring fear. Do you know what the dream was about? Lots of time something 'scary'. This is going to sound dumb..but we made a 'monster stick' We went to Home Depot and bought this big paint stir stick..like 90 cents or something. We colored it with markers. When they began talking about bad dreams or 'scary' stuff we took the stixck out and went every where in the room saying something like 'you can't be here go away, no scary stuff in here" That is what worked for us. We did bred routine every night, we only gave in to being in our bed during storms.
    With my grandson though he has horrible dreams. We bought a 'Dreamcatcher" on a local reservation. We told him the story of how they work and hung it. Only 3 dreams since.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Just be consistent, no manner how many nights it takes. Don't let her even once get back in your bed. One small victory for her, will make it so much harder to get her back in her own bed.
    momof2jmms

Answer by momof2jmms at 9:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Hmm... does she go or feel like she has to go to potty many times during the day, or just at nighttime? Maybe she has a UTI and feels like she needs to pee all the time. Just a thought.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My daughter did the same thing a few weeks ago so I gave her a "special" teddy bear that would keep her safe. She has stayed in her bed since then
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 10:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Just a little reassurance will help. I am really against co-sleeping and my kids always slept in their beds. And, they were happy kids...
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• You may need to hate to say this start from scratch with consitantly making her sleep in her bed....I would let her have a night light if that helps. Keep putting her back in bed and explain to why..if she says she is scared talk to her and let her know you are near and she can get you if she needs too.

I actually did co sleep but am also one that does CIO....My son was 2 when he slept on his own and it was HARD! Then my girls were 12mos and we did CIO. When they are older its harder and since she did sleep on her own before I hope its not as hard as my son was because that was a pure nightmare!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2010