How do I get rid of a bad diaper rash?

I have tried everything. Desitin, Palmers Butt Butter, etc etc. Nothing has worked. I've switched his diet. Talked to the pediatrician and she said to do these things and I already have been doing them. So I'm coming here asking for suggestions. It is so bad it has literally started blistering up and bleeding now. I don't know what to do. For now I have him on rice cereal with a little bit of bananas mixed in and thats the only thing that makes it a little bit better. He is breastfed not formula fed. Please someone help me!

GothMomma1210

Asked by GothMomma1210 at 10:14 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• do you give him a bath every night? i give my son a bath every night and he barley ever gets diaper rash. but when he does, i give him an extra long bath with baby oil in the water and then try and let it air out a little bit, and then put lots of desitin on his butt.
    i also put A&D ointment on his butt and penis area every night after his bath, and a few times during the day while changing his diaper.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• It honestly sounds like it may be a yeast rash. If it is blistering I would put a little mylanta on with a cotton ball. Don't rub just dab. Then I would try lotrimin AF over the counter and do that 2 to 3 times a day. I would almost guarntee that it will get better. I would also watch your diet to see if you have eaten anything acidic--tomatoes, oranges, strawberries, kiwi, almost any fruit is acidic. I hope he feels better soon.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• let him air dry for a little while. lay him on an old towel or blanket and let some good ole air hit his skin. how are his stools? if he is having any kind of loose stool it could also be irritating his skin, but with the bananas and rice that shouldn't be a problem.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:17 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Honestly I don't think its his diet at all that just happened to my daughter a couple of weeks ago and i finally took her to the ped. and they had to give her 2 creams for it and it went away almost immediatly!! So i would put in another call to the ped and tell them because the destin and all that turned out to be making my little ones worse!!
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 10:17 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• i've heard that using cloth diapers can be easier on the skin than disposables
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:17 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• There is nothing better for bad diaper rash than AIR. Take the diaper off and leave it off. no diaper = no diaper rash
    Look up information on diaper free babies and elimination communication to help you keep feces and pee off the area completely. My baby uses the potty and we've been out of diapers 100% since 9 months old. Read this: http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1608109/Elimination_Communication_Path_to_a_Diaper_Free_Baby

I personally would stop the rice cereal. The extra iron in it interferes with breastmilk iron absorption and can interfere with digestion and defecation. How old is your baby? I find that blueberries bulk the stool up nicely, so do fresh apples.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Give him a bath like every single night, and then put just plain vaseline on it and leave it on overnight. For my son it is almost always better in the morning because it protects his skin from the pee and poop that makes it worse. Balmex is the absolute best that I have found for my son but all the major brands have the same ingredient so there is no magic fix. Also when my son was having bad rashes I would take a warm washcloth and wipe his butt with that when i changed a pee diaper instead of a wipe cuz the wipes have soap in them that hurts the rash. You could try putting a cloth diaper on him or letting him go diaperless on a towel to give his bum some air. But really try the vaseline cuz it's pure and it protects the skin really well
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 10:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I always went by my Moms advice... A warm bath, and then vasoline to protect the skin after they are completely dry. No wipes, use dove, it doesn't contain soap when bathing your baby... Do this 2-3 times per day until it's cleared up.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Also, cloth is better than disposable. DO NOT USE BABY WIPES. Use plain water and a cotton cloth wipes (cheap wash cloths are fine, but with a rash that bad just run cool water over it and air or pat dry. If you choose to put a diaper back on be SURE that the area is completely dry and change the diaper immediately. You can use "burp cloths" as diapers if you fold them...burp cloths are just old fashioned flat diapers.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:21 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• If the rash isn't clear in 5-7 days then it could be a yeast infection...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:21 PM on Aug. 11, 2010