Homeschool Fundraiser

Have you done a fundraiser for your homeschool? I know one family did Chicfila calendars but I don't know how well they did, and I have seen bulbs (tulips) that looked nice.

Any suggestions?

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 10:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in

• Hmm, if you have a large group, like a co-op I would suggest the fundraising cards that give discounts for local resturants, I buy those every year. You can also get coupon books from local businesses (Arbys and a local chain grocery store do them here) and sell those or maybe even Sonic cards. For smaller groups how about a bake sale, tag/yard sale or setting up a booth at a craft fair. The craft fairs are especially nice if the kids help make the items. Saddly, a lot of people have the closed-minded mentality that homeschoolers should not be allowed to do fundraising - in fact, a local co-op was selling candy bars outside walmart and when a customer found out what they were selling for, she yanked the money back out of the boy's hand and told him she wouldn't support anything like that. It's really sad that people don't understand that homeschoolers can have co-ops, umbrella schools, etc where they learn with other kids
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I think it's sad that so many of us homeschool Moms are judged by others who don't truly understand homeschooling. Homeschooling isn't about parents choosing to keep their kids at home.

To the OP, I havent done a fundraiser but I pray that if you do that you find open minded people who see the real reasons behind homeschooling. Good Luck.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I'm not judging. I don't care if you homeschool, I just don't understand what the funds are for?
    I stated from the start I don't know alot about homeschooling, and why would I? I don't think that makes me close minded, unaware maybe, but not close minded.
    If I were close minded I would not have asked what the funds were for.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 11:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I think I understand where you'ree coming from.
    However this question is to homeschooling parents who have held fundraisers.
    txdaniella

Comment by txdaniella (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Wow yanking the money out of the kids' hand?? crazy. I did make biscotti for my husband to take to his last job and we put a little backet out and the guys paid whatever they wanted/ could for the cookies. This is my hubby's first few weeks though with the job he's at so I don't know if they'd be ok with snacks like that laying around.

I know some of the older hs girls in my area make goodies around Christmas, pies, candy.
    txdaniella

Comment by txdaniella (original poster) at 11:14 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I agree, hsmominky.
    txdaniella

Comment by txdaniella (original poster) at 11:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Well, if we did a small fundraiser (meaning just my 2 kids) it would probably be for something smaller, like a new microscope. But if we went in with our homeschool coop and did a bit better with funds, we may be able to put it toward a missions trip to go build homes in Haiti.
    txdaniella

Comment by txdaniella (original poster) at 11:37 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I agree, hsmominky. I see your point and I don't like that either. However as a HS mom I don't get the concept of fund-raising on a family level. What would you use the funds for? It's a family choice so I don't see asking others to pay for my choice in how I educate my child. Maybe a co-op for a group field trip.

OP you got a couple of great suggestions I would never have thought of.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 11:41 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Our co-op participates in Box Tops! So we collect Box Tops, turn them in for money for our co-op. We also participate in a program call scrip-Again this money is collected and used for our co-op. Those are the only "fund-raising" we do as a group.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:01 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Don't you need to get 501c status from the IRS first?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2010