where should I move to?

We did alot of thinking. And decided that after DH finishes school is 2012 we are moving. Right now we live in Kansas City Kansas. Both our immediate family lives here close by. But we never see or hardly even talk to them. His parents have been divorced since he was a baby and both have every excuse in the book not to see the kids. My parents think we always owe them money for a wedding my dad said he wanted to pay for. He has 3 brothers who live near by, only one of which we really talk to or see. His 4th brother lives in California now. And I have one sister who I never talk to. Supposedly she lives close to me with her husband, they moved 4 months ago and I couldn't tell you where she lives or even a phone number to call her on. My kids are scared when they see her cuz they don't know her, she never comes around them. These are the places we'd live to move; Miami, FL or Chowchilla, CA (near Fresno, CA) ......

Apple_Pie2010

Asked by Apple_Pie2010 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• ....... We've been to Mimai, FL and both really like the area. But we don't know a single person. His oldest brother lives in Chowchilla, CA (which we've never been to but have been to California) and wants us to move there. We a both close with his brother and his wife. I just can't decided. I mean I have time to think about it. But DH is pretty much leaving the decision up to me. Where would you move? And if you live in or near either one what is you opinion on these places?
    Apple_Pie2010

Comment by Apple_Pie2010 (original poster) at 10:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• between those two i'd go to fresno but CA and FL both have struggling economies right now... not a lot of jobs, expensive housing...
    I'd check out Austin, TX or a similar growing city like that (well, obviously there are other things to consider besides economy...
    Good luck!!!
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:33 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I live in Cali and I would say do not come here!! My family and I are trying to get out there is no work, the schools are bad, if you have documentation then you canot get a cheap apartment.(Yes, I said that right-cheap apartments go to migrants)
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 10:38 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Fl is terrible right now. The schools stink and the economy is sinking fast. I would move to wherever he can find a job in his field. Go there and build a life for yourselves.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:44 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I live in CA, but not in the central Valley. I have lived in Sacramento, the Sierra Nevada foothills, the San Francisco Bay Area, Coastal central Coast and Coastal Southern LA County. I wold not think Chowchilla would be a booming place right now. however, it is rather affordable by CA standards. Clovis is a nicer town with good schools. It is in Fresno Cty. What line of work will you be pursuing? Do you have the liquid funds it will take to move? Everything is more expensive in CA, especially fuel, utilities and state income tax. Conversely, FL has no state income tax.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I'm white so I usually don't worry about the migrant stuff. And I'm starting to think economy sucks everywhere. I know it does here. As for schools I really don't care to much. As of right now we are homeschooling cuz the schools by us also suck. DH is going into HVAC work.
    Apple_Pie2010

Comment by Apple_Pie2010 (original poster) at 11:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Miami is a beautiful city ~ and Florida as a whole is a fabulous state....to visit! Living there is a whole different ball game. The housing market is a mess, the job market is a bigger mess, and I would stay out of there....especially if you have a choice. At this point I would go wherever you can find a promising job.
    crzymmy5

Answer by crzymmy5 at 11:01 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I Live in NY. The quality of life is Excellent but the cost of living here is very high but this is where the money still is. Also, I heard that keller Texas is a great place to live & raise a family. Real Estate prices are great. I hear Florida is tanking, so you may do better in California.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Have you checked out the cost of living? This should be a major factor before you move.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:09 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I would Google best places to live and one of the choices will be Money Magazine's top choices. They analyze each area. Interesting stuff and a lot of food for thought. Good luck to you!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:45 PM on Aug. 12, 2010