Does it make me a bad person? (PA)

I don't work and I get FS and rent assistance. My child is severely disabled and special needs and requires constant care. My family says it's okay for me to stay home with her and take care of her while receiving assistance and not working. I would love to work, trust me, I would, but there is no daycare that will accept her and my mother refuses to watch her because she says I need to stay home with her. Our only income is her ssi. As soon as she is stable enough for daycare, I will return to the workforce. Only problem is we don't know when that will be. It could be months or years. Knowing that I receive fs, rent assistance, medicaid, ssi, and I don't work, do you consider me one of those lazy moochers? What are your views?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• i dont. i cant imagine leaving my sick dd home with my mom (or anyone) everyday. but where is the dad. he should be paying child support if he is not around. and if he is he should be supporting you.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:47 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I dont think that it makes you a bad person. I think you should be there for your child right now. Give it awhile and then get out and find a job. But staying home for a little while is what i think is best.
    stressedmomma83

Answer by stressedmomma83 at 10:47 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Not at all. This is your child and you need to be there.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I think that this is a can of worms you don't want to open. These questions get dramatic very quick.

You take care of that baby.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Nope, not at all. I used to work full time until my husband had a massive stroke. I am now his fulltime caregiver. Trust me, I know how hard you work, caring for your daughter...HUGS!
    lizard111

Answer by lizard111 at 10:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Why would that make you a bad person?? I dont think it does at all, I think you are doing whats necessary to take care of your child. GL to you and I hope everything works out :)
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 10:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• If you really do want to go back to work, you can probably get a home health nurse to come in for your daughter that the state should help you with. I have a friend whose son is severly disabled and she has a home health nurse come in to be with him while she works part time. She enjoys the break from the stresses of caring for her son and the state does cover the home health care.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Well leaving a child that is disabled is hard because you want to be sure they are cared for right and not at risk of being abused.The only people I dislike is the ones that have no plans to better themself on assitance. In your case you really have no choice. ANd if I was in your shoes I'd do the same thing!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:55 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I just see all these posts about FS and being lazy when you don't work and collect. It makes me feel like a bad person. We have a child support hearing in December and I won't receive support until then. I'm the OP obviously lol.
    two_dark_eyez

Answer by two_dark_eyez at 10:56 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• why would you even ask? hell no
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2010