Unreasonable bosses.. Please help

I work at a place where it is require to where business casual. I have been working here for 5 months now. My boss no all of a sudden says I cannot wear my short cut slacks, that I can only where long slacks. Is this right? What should I do? I only have to long slacks and two short slacks. I have been wearing these for the longest.

Jrsmom2

Asked by Jrsmom2 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Money & Work

• First off you need to follow their rules and did you ask why all of the sudden there was a change?

Coming from a management/supervisory background I know that sometimes my boss will tell me to tell someone else to dress differently or someone complains about someones attire and even though it has been looked over in the past, now it needs to be addressed.

I have had this happen to me too where I used to wear any color t-shirt under my uniform scrubs and after two years I got a memo stating that the employee handbook states we can only wear white tees under our scrubs. I ended up asking my boss at the time why the change now and she said her boss was visiting and noticed it even though my boss had no problem with it.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 3:38 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Unfortunately, you have to follow the rules. If you have a question approach your boss on the side, and don't address it in front of others (trust me, I learned this the hard way). Times are tough, maybe you can pick up a couple pair of pants at the local thrift store. That's what I usually do if I have to dress a certain way and cannot afford to buy expensive new outfits. Also check out the sales racks this spring, you can probably find a lot of great deals.
    chickadee8654

Answer by chickadee8654 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• there is no written rules. we were just in a meeting and i said it was cold and he then said wear longer paints and it's not a good idea to wear short ones n e more because there not slacks, but they are just short ones that stop a little below my knee.
    Jrsmom2

Answer by Jrsmom2 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I would check the guidelines for attire at work. If the environment is business casual the have guidelines and stimpulations around what that is exactly. The last job I worked at was business casual and they had it in writing so people would know and there would be no questioning on what you could or could not wear. You can probably find that by going on your intranet at work and look under your policies. More than likely though, you have been getting away with wearing the shorts and someone probably said something to your boss about it.
    tpalmer

Answer by tpalmer at 6:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Business casual dress is usually slacks and a blouse. It is nice dress just short of wearing suits. In warmer climates, longer capris with a sweater set or jacket is usually acceptable. Most managers/executives don't like business casual or casual Fridays mostly because the perception of what is acceptable becomes so liberal that soon people are wearing flip flops and daisy dukes. Sounds like they are just trying to reign it in to avoid serious violations especially if customers visit your location. I would suggest visiting Target or Walmart and start adding some business casual items to your wardrobe. You will be able to find a variety of reasonably priced, stylish and comfortable options. There is no sense "fighting City Hall" on this point unless you already have another job lined up.

TrudyP

Answer by TrudyP at 6:18 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Well I just spoke with his boss.. and she said what I am wearing is fine. She said she wears capri's and wishes she could wear shorts. Thanks for everyones help. I think my boss was just being an .......
    Jrsmom2

Answer by Jrsmom2 at 6:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• That is one of the problems when you work for someone else. You are under their spell. Wouldn't you like to make enough money to be able to come home and stay home? I have a home based business that my husband and I built while we had full time jobs...we did it part time on the evenings and when it replaced one of our incomes, i came home. Now I have all the time in the world to do anything and everything..but I love this business and the money so much that I continue to do it part time to earn residual income and retire in a few years. Feel free to visit my homepage and email me or call me.
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 10:27 PM on Oct. 6, 2008