what does it mean when you crave nothing but meat and salt??

I am 6-7 weeks pregnant, and cannot get enought meat or salty stuff. Drinking a ton of water to negate the salt but I cant stop wanting it! Esp. meat- my goodness its become out of hand! The thought of sweet stuff is just nauseating. Any ideas what it means?
Trying to compensate with other proteins, like beans, greens, peanut butter, still the intense craving for red meat stays front and present.
Thanks for the advice mamas! :)

CinnamonScallop

Asked by CinnamonScallop at 11:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Anemia? Low iron? Are you taking your prenatals? Then don't worry :))
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Thank you! Yes, taking prenatals, as well as extra folic acid... maybe anemia- thought I'm not tired?
    CinnamonScallop

Comment by CinnamonScallop (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• ya low irion i looked in the fridge for my first pregnancy and saw hamberger meat we were defrosting and i then craved raw meat for 6 months it was crazy im on my 3rd pregnancy now and im 6 weeks and i hope i dont crave that again i will never hear the and of it good luck and you can eat meat its good for you!
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 11:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• It means you are loading up on protien and you should be keeping an eye on your salt intake. It isn't good for you or baby to have too much salt.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 12:04 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• My midwife gave me a list when I was pregnant of what you crave and what it means and now I cannot find it. grr.

The meat can mean iron. The salt may mean salt. Salt is actually very important in our bodily functions. Check out Dr. Brewer's diet, http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 1:46 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• thank you for the great answers mamas, looks like its time to load up on more spinach!!! Thank you!
    CinnamonScallop

Comment by CinnamonScallop (original poster) at 10:00 AM on Aug. 14, 2010