night terrors

Sorry if I spell any wrong. How young can a child have night terrors my oldest had but he was a toddler my 4 month old is having 1. What can I do 4 him help.plz

kadmomma

Asked by kadmomma at 11:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• my ds is 4 months also, about a month ago he was having what seemed like night terrors too. he was practically screaming in his sleep. i would just pick him up and hold him, rock him, a gently talk to him until it passed. most the time he never actually woke up.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 11:14 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Just be there for him, hold him and talk quietly, soothing to him BUT do not wake him up. My oldest son had them from the time he was just a few months old and his doctors always said that it's worse for them if you wake them.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 11:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• here are some facts. night terror happen in a stage 4 non rem sleep. anyone that experiences a night terror does not know they are having one and does not remember the night terror afterward. all you can do is let them have the night terro and know that it does not harm them. they don't know they are having them, and they will not remember them. night terrors are not nightmares which are simply bad dreams which people do remember. and yes never wake them because it will put them into shock which is very dangerous
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:51 AM on Aug. 12, 2010