If you have acreage?

We live on one acre, but are thinking of moving closer to DH's work and want more land. What are the pros and cons?

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 11:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• My dad owns 30 acres and it's a lot of work. I will say though that 20 acres is just trees and brush and stuff. Trees that we planted. I don't remember the exact reason.. if it was zoning, or something like that, but we were required to plant them, I want to say something like 100/acre. All I know is it was A LOT. I got really bad poison oak that summer.. really sucked. It's very private though, and they have lots of room to do what they want with.
    My in-laws also own about 17acres. The house is built on the front 3 acres and the back is zoned light agriculture but they don't use it. it's great to have the space for the kids to run. They just adopted a puppy, so he's got tons of room. We've had out daughters bday parties out there the last couple years and it's been awesome for the treasure hunts we do. Oh. and we have a great garden there
    So... PRO: space is nice! CON: have to worry about things like zoning and lots of work.
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 2:34 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• The only real con I can think of is MOWING!!! It takes forever. I live on 3 acres and our rider keeps on breaking down. As for pros there is plenty of room for the kids to play and plenty of room for get togethers. Also if you like doing campouts in the yard then having a huge yard helps there too. If you enjoy gardening then you can have a HUGE garden.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 11:33 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• We live on 20 acres and the upkeep is rough. It takes a few days to get all the grass cut. My kids love having 20 acres to run around and play on. We also have a creek they love to jump and play around in. The pros outweight the cons imo.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 11:39 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• maintenance & taxes
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:55 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• 10 acres and a lot of work in keeping the land cleared and the fences repaired.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:38 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I want a least five acres but if I can get 3 that's good. My kids will have lots of room,and there more money you will have to pay in taxes.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 11:39 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• 30 acres oh boy
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 3:09 AM on Aug. 12, 2010