Is it just me or do our children seem to lack the respect that we had for our parents?

My kids sass, can't give me a straight answer, or respect my belongings. My daughter takes my perfume, deodorant, make-up and toiletries that. I wouldn't mind it so much if she would just put it back where I had it. But instead she keeps it and I wind up having to buy more just so she can take it again. If I borrow something of hers, I always put it back where I found it. I don't even have a tool in my house to find because my son takes it and again doesn't bother to put it back. I had to buy a safe to keep in my house to put important things in so it won't go missing. I even put things in there that normal people wouldn't even think of putting in there. Including medications. When will it ever end?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 11:47 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• i hear a lot of kids talking to their parents in public and i think "man if i would have said that to my mom she would have slapped me!"
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• how old are your kids? if they are above 12 it sounds like something that should have ended when it started. no offense but if you would have curbed the problem when it started it may not have gotten this bad. i too put things up in our lock box-including medications, but that is so my toddler children dont get into them. but tehy respect our stuff if we tell them private or it needs privacy. we make them use yes ma'am and no ma'am or yes sir no sir too. respect, curtisy, and behavior issues start young.
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 11:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• In my opinion it is in the parenting. My children are all respectful and would never dream of answering back. My kids are 18, 11, 6 and 19 months old.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 11:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Because parents care more about being friends with their kids instead of being a parent. Parents need to grow some balls and start realizing that they're screwing up not just their kids but the future of society. I make sure my daughter is respectful and I'm pissed that other parents have made my job that much harder. When my 8 year old daughter asks me why someone else is allowed to whine or another kid is allowed to use foul language I just tell her "I am not that kids parent".
    kameka

Answer by kameka at 12:02 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Everything is different now but as the world has changed so has the way parents raise their children. All of these factors have contributed to lack of respect, responsibility and about everything else.
    kmkrazyk

Answer by kmkrazyk at 11:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I will let my kids get away with a lot but stealing, lying, and back talking are not on that list. I will smack a mouth I am not scared. I don't care if no one likes it they aren't raising my kids.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 11:55 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• How old are your kids? I am sorry to be harsh, but it sounds to me, like you let them get away with this since at no time did you mention and consiquenses(sp??) for these actions other then you just go out and buy more crap for them to steal. You need to hand you daughter a list of everything that is "missing" and tell her she has until Friday to replace it. I would sugest 1) if they are adults, telling them to get jobs and move the F out and 2) buy a key locking door knob and place it on your door and lock your shit away
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 12:02 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• this is how you deal with it... get your make up out of the bathroom, put a lock on your door, and put it in your room, then give them one warning, ONE>

they touch your stuff and don't give it back, you take their favorite things, and get rid of them. Ipod, whatever, just have it out the door before they get home.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:05 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• That's how you raised 'em, that's how you get 'em. Sorry, but the hard truth is that it may not have been intentional but you caused it and apparently let it slide even now.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 12:06 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I totally hear you. Half my makeup is sitting in dd's room somewhere, including my nail polishs. I borrow her clothes though to make up for it.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2010