How can someone do this?

Theres a great friendship quote: ' A friend will help you move, a true friend will help you move a body.'

A true friend will help you when your in need because you are in need NOT because you asked for their help and it was convenient for them. How can someone say that they'll be there for you only to back out at the last minute? What kind of friend, no person, would do this?

SolaraDarkset

Asked by SolaraDarkset at 11:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• Amen!!!

I have just written off a friend of 21yrs because she always backs out at the last minute. Just last week, we were supposed to hang out at her house, have a couple beers and just talk. I got a text asking if we could reschedule for "next week" because she had had a "long day". No big deal, whatever. THEN....on Saturday, I am on Facebook tending to my farm and mafia, and I see "Had the best time catching up with an old friend. Thanks for a great night out Corrine, Love ya" This was the status update from my "friend" who had a "long day" and ditched me.

F That. If after 21yrs, I don't qualify as an "old friend" then screw you. She could have atleast been honest and said that she hadn't seen Corrine in XYZ and would I mind if we rescheduled. No big deal, but I felt lied to, and I will be damned if she thinks I am going to be available this week
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• BECOUSE THERE ASS HOLE'S !
    lightbulbe

Answer by lightbulbe at 11:56 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• A person that only sees what they get out of it and doesn't care how it affects you, period.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 12:08 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• It all depends on why they backed out... seriously, there may be something going on in their life that is more important than helping a friend.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 11:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• They don't sound like a real friend, unless they had a really good reason.

Answer by Bmat at 11:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Like someone else said, something could have came up that is more important, and they don't want to tell you so they made up an excuse...or they just didn't feel like helping/hanging and didn't want to hurt your feelings.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 11:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• a true friend have your back no matter what. why did your friend back -out at the last minute? one of neighbor was moving and the people she had was suppose to help her. no one showed up. I was the one who helped her pack and clean-up her place. it took us three days. I wasn't her first choice.in the end i was the only one who cared enough to help her.
    ymadaris2

Answer by ymadaris2 at 12:16 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• I would have to know what it was exactly to say if it was a true friend or not.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 1:08 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• sometimes things happen, but if this something they are known for you can just stop depending on them for stuff.
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 1:23 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• have to have strong reasons for doing so
    A11

Answer by A11 at 1:27 AM on Aug. 12, 2010