What does 80% effaced mean?

forgive my ignorance, but my Dr never told me anything like that. My SIL is 2 cm & 80% effaced. Her due date is 9/1, but her Dr doesn't think she'll make it to her due date. So excited!

Ashlynnsmommy07

Asked by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• OK, actually it is how thin the cervix is. Think about the uterus as a big upside down pear, the neck part of the pear as the cervix. We (L&D nurses, midwives, & docs) use "effacement" to say basically, how long is the neck. It will eventually thin to 100% which to those of us who have felt it, is very thin, like paper thin. It does not mean that your SIL will deliver tonight but she's getting closer. The cervix can be dilated and effaced long before the actual birth date. Good luck to your SIL and I hope she has a great delivery!
    tysooze

Answer by tysooze at 12:09 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• She can be 80% effaced (the cervix has thinned/ softened) and dilated to a 2 for weeks. Months even.

Her body is doing what it is supposed to be doing. Some women start moving toward birth very early and progress very slowly. She could be this way safely until 9/15

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:07 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Not the uterus, the cervix. It means the cervix is 80% of the way thinned out to allow the baby to pass through.
    kameka

Answer by kameka at 12:04 AM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Means her uterus is 80% thinned. Don't worry I didnt know either when I had my first and my doctor said it, I had to ask.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• It means that the head is very close to being able to be birthed if you contractions are a bit closer and you dialate just a while longer, you may have that baby tonight or tomorrow. That birth canal is working hon. Congratulations.

and PUSH, congratulations, !!!!!
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 11:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• thanks coffeeyum, but it's not me it's my SIL - I can't wait!!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Comment by Ashlynnsmommy07 (original poster) at 12:01 AM on Aug. 12, 2010